Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Freezing here in MA..... the birds are all shivering today. Feeling terrible for them... it was -6 this morning and barely made it to 16 degrees today. No sun on the coop or runs. They are not liking it one bit. And not only is my mix roo still having seizure like episodes (slowly seems to be doing better though with my spoiling) but we also have a young EE roo that is damaging the backs of our pullets so badly that one had a large puncture hole under her wing. Felt so bad when my husband brought her in to show me. Ordered some saddles for them..... poor girls.... and finally my 5 marans pullets are all laying (not including my two "washingtons" that are 21 weeks old now) and I have to say that I am happy with two out of the five in regards to color of their eggs. Everyone is just giddy over my marans and their eggs - I even have 2 family members that want chicks in the spring from me! Marans will become an addiction for them
big_smile.png

Freezing here in MA..... but we also have a young EE roo that is damaging the backs of our pullets so badly that one had a large puncture hole under her wing. Felt so bad when my husband brought her in to show me. Ordered some saddles for them.....

You may want to check the young roo's toenails. Blunting them with a file may help.
smile.png

Hmm I think Mother Nature forgot that we are flatlanders down here in West Texas, and we don't like SNOW. Cold all day and spitting snow. It is suppose to come down hard after dark UGH.

VIVI

Snow all day on Friday

11 PM Jan 3

16.png

26°F
Snow
FEELS LIKE:
18°
HUMIDITY:
95%
PRECIP:
90%
WIND:
E at 8 mph

Last edited:
Get him girl.... Don't let that boy head my way....

Do you think you could leave some posion out on top of the coops at night, since that is his point of attack? ? ?
Can't leave out poison there are too many cats around here. He has been hanging around here all year since it was raining so much this spring and everything flooded so I doubt he is going anywhere. I bet he makes rounds to all the neighbors since they all have chickens, geese, and/or guineas.
If we can't shoot him I will probably build a dog run around the coops and let our dog run there at night. Our bigger dog would bite him in half if he caught it. I usually keep that dog in the house with me at night since he is a trained guard dog but he works pretty effectively outside too. We lost one of our dogs last spring and she is the one who used to stay outside and keep the predators away. Once she was gone, they all started showing up.
I might look into getting a livestock guardian dogs to keep outside. The rescue lady I got my key west chickens from had a Great Pyrenees and told me it chased bobcats off on a regular basis at their place.

Delawares and 1 marans are the eggs in the incubator. NO PIPS yet. I am still working on adjusting the temps in the new incubator. My hatch ran late last time. I raised the temps slightly, but I may need to raise them a little more.
smile.png
O0O0O what kind of new incubator? Did you build one or buy one?

Last edited:
I am having a good hatch, it is just late. I didn't set any Marans this batch..... I have about 40 marans chicks... but I have more cooking too. I had 10 SFH out 3 more pips and 4 with no action... but maybe by tomorrow. Most of my Project eggs hatched or were hatching. And I had 1 SLW out another pipped and 1 nothing when I left
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom