Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Hi all. It's been a while since I've posted anything about my dear chickens. I believe a racoon broke the door to the coop and had gotten in and killed my beautiful Marans. I had a lavender and a handsome rooster along with my other hens and it was so devistating to find them that morning. I've fixed the coop and it's now stronger and ready for me to start another flock. I also have a dog that's out and roams our property and is pretty good at protecting our property. Any one know of a breeder in the Central Florida area that may have Maran chicks or pullets??? I'd appreciate it.

My daughter has been given an FFA project of purchasing and showing a variety of Marans and their eggs. She is a junior in High School and part of a very active FFA program. She has shown and bred Partridge Wyandotte Bantams with some success. Does anyone know where we could find reasonable yet good quality Black Copper Marans or White Marans?
Just thought of your post again when I saw the white marans here http://www.rarebreedauctions.com/ca...type=auctions&category=poultry&parent_id=1866

I've been following this thread for a little over a year. I have studied the examples of Marans posted here and have tried to choose my next roo with those things in mind. I am working on a darkest egg project with a friend of mine but I really can't help but look at standard also.

I have several boys to choose from but I'd sure like some input on them. I didn't get a pic of the one I chose to keep but I'm already looking at two others that I need to reconsider. Here's a couple of pics to start. Please educate me, I need to learn. I appreciate an input and thank you a head of time.

Oh, and here's the eggs they came from...

Last edited:
You will need to post more pics to get the best feedback.
My off the cuff feedback is...

1st cockerel is looking narrow towards the tail. A picture from the top will help determine this.

2nd cockerel looks to have white in the tail. Open the wing and see if there is white there too.
His leg shank color looks light / off too Plus, he is missing leg feathering.

3rd cockerel has uneven color. Color in the hackles and saddles should be the same. This guy starts with light hackles and the copper darkens as it approaches the tail. No comment on his posture since he doesn't appear to be standing normally.

With better pics, I could point out pluses and minuses more accurately
smile.png

I've been following this thread for a little over a year. I have studied the examples of Marans posted here and have tried to choose my next roo with those things in mind. I am working on a darkest egg project with a friend of mine but I really can't help but look at standard also.

I have several boys to choose from but I'd sure like some input on them. I didn't get a pic of the one I chose to keep but I'm already looking at two others that I need to reconsider. Here's a couple of pics to start. Please educate me, I need to learn. I appreciate an input and thank you a head of time.

Oh, and here's the eggs they came from...

I am new to the marans and would like to get some input on the breed! We recently purchased 7 splash marans all about 20wks old 5 pullets and 2 roos! We mainly decided on this breed because my son is showing in 4h and really likes the colors of this breed our main issue is we are not sure if this is a breed that is recognized by the apa and if they truly are the splash marans! If i post some pics of our new additions is there anyone that has the splash that could help to tell me that we weren't taken by buying this set????

I am new to the marans and would like to get some input on the breed! We recently purchased 7 splash marans all about 20wks old 5 pullets and 2 roos! We mainly decided on this breed because my son is showing in 4h and really likes the colors of this breed our main issue is we are not sure if this is a breed that is recognized by the apa and if they truly are the splash marans! If i post some pics of our new additions is there anyone that has the splash that could help to tell me that we weren't taken by buying this set????

I will answer the APA part. Wheatens and black coppers are the only 2 colors accepted so far. splash probably will not be an accepted color as it is not with most breeds of chickens.

post pics I am sure someone will give you an opinion. any Marans should show some basic Marans traits no matter the color. splash is a color that will lose its color in the next generations unless us ad blues in the pen to keep the color strong.

Last edited:
Depending on how the 4-H/fair is run where you live, they may have an "any other breed" category that he can show in, as splash is generally not a APA recognized color in any breed.

1st cockerel is looking narrow towards the tail. A picture from the top will help determine this.

2nd cockerel looks to have white in the tail. Open the wing and see if there is white there too.

3rd cockerel has uneven color. Color in the hackles and saddles should be the same. This guy starts with light hackles and the copper darkens as it approaches the tail. No comment on his posture since he doesn't appear to be standing normally.

smile.png

Quote: Thank you for your quick response, I will get better pics. I should have said they're 4 months old. They all have leg feathering, quite a bit but I see where you can't see it in that picture. Also, I'll look closer at that boy but I believe all white on all of them was gone at least a month ago. I've been reading here and then, spending time in my chicken chair, evaluating them so I was watching the white.

smile.png
AMENDED critique after clicking on the pictures and enlarging them LOL...

1st cockerel... Someone with Vulture Hock experience take a look at this boys leg feathering. Does it look OK?

2nd cockerel... On the enlargement, he has plenty of leg feathering. To be fair about this boy, he needs more pics in natural lighting. He is 1/2 in the shadow and 1/2 in the sun.

Back
Top Bottom