Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

They are both mottled. I have both LOL. Trying to improve the MFL with SS but just not sure I want to keep working on that color. Funny how you want something and when you get it the thrill is gone..... when they are flighty and not hearty.
I just can't live with the Leghorn energy. Kind of like terriers *L* I'm a Great Dane kind of personality, that's why I love the Marans.

I would suggest you get one of the color cards and punch a hole in each different egg with a standard paper punch. You can then place the card on top of an egg and match the egg color to the card color very easily.

I would suggest you get one of the color cards and punch a hole in each different egg with a standard paper punch. You can then place the card on top of an egg and match the egg color to the card color very easily.
thumbsup.gif
That's a great idea, Ripster.

goodpost.gif

Is a Speckled Sussex mottled then? And what about the MF pattern where it's two colors on one feather?

Was I in the ballpark saying that splash was different colored feathers here and there on the bird, or can splash have two colors on one feather (just not necessarily "tipped")? Thanks for the education, BTW.

In Speckled Sussex, Spangled Old English and breeds with the Mille Fleur color pattern each feather is tipped in black and then white with the remainder of the feather either mahogany or reddish in color. The black and white should ideally be well defined and look like an inverted V in shape.

Splash colored feathers are not necessarily just tipped on the ends, nor one solid color. The Standard of Perfection defines splashed feathers as "Ones where there are irregular splashes of contrasting color". It is considered a defect in spangled or mottled varieties.

I caught 3 leghorn yesterday bare handed in about 5-7 mins on my knees too.LOL

My other leghorn are calm and usually come to greet me when I get eggs. the MFL fly all over every time I just walk by.

Maran cross questions: I just put some eggs in the incubator. Some pure Black Copper Marans and others are mixed with the Black Copper Maran roo. Any idea how these crosses will turn out?:

Black Copper Maran with:
Buff Orpington
RIR
Barred Rock

I also have some Ameraucauna Roo (prob an EE) with:
Blue Ameraucauna
Gold Laced Wyandotte

Any pics out there of the chicks and adults?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom