Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

hi I have a question I have a splash copper Marans not hatchery but from someone on here he does not have barley any feathering on his legs is normal or should he be culled. I am new to Marans and do not know what is correct any info from people who know would be great. Also this guy is huge and how much copper is good thanks

hi I have a question I have a splash copper Marans not hatchery but from someone on here he does not have barley any feathering on his legs is normal or should he be culled. I am new to Marans and do not know what is correct any info from people who know would be great. Also this guy is huge and how much copper is good thanks

clean shanks would be a DQ but if you are not showing thatvmay not matter. if you cross a bird with heavy feathered shanks with a light or clean thanked bird you will get some that are correctly feathered. chickens are a game of averages. you have to mate birds properly to get the right balance.

if you have another bird with all things equal but the feathered legs....pick the one with feathered legs.

I have a new been of Marans and very few have feathered legs.....they carry the genes for them just didn't express. I will pick a roo with feathered legs....maybe too much to help fix that. might be a generation down the road though.

I appreciate all comments because to me that is a good way to learn if my birds are up to breed standard. So, really instead of asking if my birds are "show" quality I really mean are they of the correct standard. If I'm going to breed Marans then I want to stay true to the original breed so that is why I'm asking for help. Now that said, there was a mention of a "sprig" on my rooster's comb and not knowing exactly what that meant I had to take more pictures. Do you still see a "sprig"?

Would love to have some feedback on my FBCMs. Would this rooster be of show quality? They are all this years hatch and at least one of the girls has started laying but the eggs are not very brown at all. They free range all day with access to a layers, scratch and a litle treat of calf manna feed.

The one thing I have learned I am not a chicken photographer. I know that a picture of him from the backside will help, gonna work on that.

I appreciate all comments because to me that is a good way to learn if my birds are up to breed standard. So, really instead of asking if my birds are "show" quality I really mean are they of the correct standard. If I'm going to breed Marans then I want to stay true to the original breed so that is why I'm asking for help. Now that said, there was a mention of a "sprig" on my rooster's comb and not knowing exactly what that meant I had to take more pictures. Do you still see a "sprig"?
In the above photo look at his comb, do you see that little bit pointing sideways at the back of his comb? That is what looks like a sprig to us.

Good Morning BYC ....I gotta say I Love my Marans too....And just found this line yesterday

I ordered 1 day old straight run chicks 6 months ago...5 of each...French Black Copper....French Blue Copper and...Blue Splash ( 6 misc extra the breeder added) to compensate for any that might not survive the trip...Out of those 21 babies...1 was dead in box...:-(...7 are girls...there is 1 I am still unsure even at 6 months if its a boy or girl...the rest are deff roos....my question is is this the norm...I have the sweetest roosters...they cuddle...they sing there song to my 3 year old g-daughter ...I dont seem to be able to find enough hens to add to the flock...I know there will be fights soon in claiming the hens....What am -can I do....Dont even go there if you think i would put them in a pot...not going to happen

Good Morning BYC ....I gotta say I Love my Marans too....And just found this line yesterday

I ordered 1 day old straight run chicks 6 months ago...5 of each...French Black Copper....French Blue Copper and...Blue Splash ( 6 misc extra the breeder added) to compensate for any that might not survive the trip...Out of those 21 babies...1 was dead in box...:-(...7 are girls...there is 1 I am still unsure even at 6 months if its a boy or girl...the rest are deff roos....my question is is this the norm...I have the sweetest roosters...they cuddle...they sing there song to my 3 year old g-daughter ...I dont seem to be able to find enough hens to add to the flock...I know there will be fights soon in claiming the hens....What am -can I do....Dont even go there if you think i would put them in a pot...not going to happen
14 cockerals will be brutal on only 7 pullets. If you won't eat them, you need to find them a home, you could try Craigslist or separate them from the girls somehow.

My orders were close to 50/50 but weighted towards boys. However, you should not have more than 1 boy in with those 7 girls. Otherwise the girls will suffer greatly from being overbred, Those 14 boys will all try to take turns on every girl, one right after the other as soon as one boy starts the others will be lined up and sometimes there will be two and three on a girl at once. It's really ugly. You are going to have to get them out of there one way or another

It may not be bad now, but trust me, when they really get their "rooster" on, culling them won't seem so bad. I bought 12 pullets of another breed from a TSC store and got 12 roosters. They are just hitting 6 months old, slow growers, and have become a real pain in the butt. It would probably be worst but I have some Blue Slate turkeys that are currently keeping them in line. As soon as the weather cools off they are destined for the freezer. I feel that right now they are living the good live, free ranging, etc. They will only have one bad day and I will make that one as humane as possible. Having chickens comes with making the hard choices.

I appreciate all comments because to me that is a good way to learn if my birds are up to breed standard. So, really instead of asking if my birds are "show" quality I really mean are they of the correct standard.
Great distinction in your language! And I love the color on this boy and his wide black chest. Both pics make him look pretty upright, of a shallow keel. What's his age?
It may not be bad now, but trust me, when they really get their "rooster" on, culling them won't seem so bad. I bought 12 pullets of another breed from a TSC store and got 12 roosters. They are just hitting 6 months old, slow growers, and have become a real pain in the butt. It would probably be worst but I have some Blue Slate turkeys that are currently keeping them in line. As soon as the weather cools off they are destined for the freezer. I feel that right now they are living the good live, free ranging, etc. They will only have one bad day and I will make that one as humane as possible. Having chickens comes with making the hard choices.
Well said. I like rehoming those that can be to anyone who wants to make meat birds or their own backyard beauties but after that the dog or the freezer is where the sexually aggressive ones go, along with any that are not being kept to show/breed. I try to keep two here for those 'just in case.'

14 cockerals will be brutal on only 7 pullets. If you won't eat them, you need to find them a home, you could try Craigslist or separate them from the girls somehow.
If i put the extra roos in a roo only run...will they fight each other or be ok until i find more hens to add to the flock....I can do that with a breakdown run we made when i raised quail...I just rechecked the date I got these babies there so so big but not 6 months old yet...only 4 months old... <--this on july 10-2013

<---this less than 2 weeks ago.......Huge even now

Back
Top Bottom