Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

T
Can he not advertise them as just "Marans" and be upfront about the breeding? I mean they will still be Marans won't they?

This is how I would do it. ''Backyard chickens for sale'' these chicks were crossed by Wheaten and Black Coppers. They are not pure breed put they are wonderful and may lay some dark eggs. Make sure when you get inquiries don't tell them they are show quality Marans. Most people seek a pure varity that no one has added stuf to them. I want Black coppers that that's what I want. If your making cool project birds that's cool. But people get angry getting stock and then they fine they have been played. Not try to be jerk here. Just helping. You will find when people want birds they will come back if they like you and trust you.

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this idea with me Shannon! After homework is done today I am going to get my "tree chicken catcher" ready. I didn't even think of trying to get them after dark.

smile.png
Around here I have discovered if I need to pen birds before dark all I have to do is shake the meal worm jar, they will be crowding my feet so bad I can't move; throw mealworms into the pen and wait for everyone to run in afterthem, shut the gate quick. ;=)

Hello,

I just got some new chicks and I have no clue what type they are. Can anyone help? They are all Marans, and all girls, but that is all I know. I think one is a BCM, but the other black one seems to be getting striped wings. Thanks for your help.

Also, around how old before they start laying? My older BCM's are 3 months now.

Hello, I just got some new chicks and I have no clue what type they are. Can anyone help? They are all Marans, and all girls, but that is all I know. I think one is a BCM, but the other black one seems to be getting striped wings. Thanks for your help. Also, around how old before they start laying? My older BCM's are 3 months now.
The goldish one is a Golden Cuckoo (roo) The White is either White or Splash if White should have pink legs, if Splash should have slate. The Black ones could be BCM or Birchen. They all look good and robust!

Hello, I just got some new chicks and I have no clue what type they are. Can anyone help? They are all Marans, and all girls, but that is all I know. I think one is a BCM, but the other black one seems to be getting striped wings. Thanks for your help. Also, around how old before they start laying? My older BCM's are 3 months now.
where did you get them? a hatchery? I see a golden cuckoo back middle and my first thought is that is a roo by the size of the head spot. the white looking one could be a white or maybe a splash I can't see it very well. if the others have a head spot too they could be cuckoo Marans.

The goldish one is a Golden Cuckoo (roo) The White is either White or Splash if White should have pink legs, if Splash should have slate. The Black ones could be BCM or Birchen. They all look good and robust!
Becky splash can have white legs too.

Thank you for all the input! Supposedly they are all pullets. I did get them from a hatchery. I forgot I ordered them, oops! I know better now to look here for chicks! Although the appeal of only ordering 3 or 4 chicks is why I went with them in the first place.

One of the black ones feathers are coming in striped. Is that a birchen? I think the other one is a BCM, I already have some of them that I got as day olds. Interesting about the gold colored one. It might be the flash reflecting on the feathers, I will look closer tomorrow and see if there is a head spot. If so, I will be calling the hatchery!

Thanks again! Can't wait for those "chocolate" eggs! Or any eggs for that matter! I got all of my chickens as either hatching eggs or day olds and I only have two currently laying out of 40 chickens! Chicken math strikes again!

the SRIPED ones are cuckoo Marans. the spot on the head says they will be barred. the SIZE of the head spot tells us it is probably a roo. you can't call the hatchery over our guesses. you will have to let it grow out to know for sure. Birchens are not barred. they would look a lot like a BCM.

I'm new this site as a poster so I'm not sure the past history of this page, but it sounds heated. I just wanted to get my opinion of this beautiful breed out there. I have a trio of French Copper Black Marans and they are gorgeous to be in no way self serving. I got my trio as a second crop from an original importer. My one hen has the flaw of having naked legs, but I lover her just the same. I have two major issues with my trio though, first my rooster is as violent as a game cock, ex. he took on a young hawk and won, second my hens are both food vacuums and very poor producers, about 160 eggs a year each. Not to mention the hens fight all the time too. These birds are beautiful, and you feel luxurious eating the eggs, they are the eggs James Bond, Sean Connery, eats in three of this movies and they are a fairly expensive in french restaurants, around 10 euros for one as Eggs Benedicta, that was the price the last time I was in country. With all this extravagance its no wonder do me that people who raise them cant help but feel a little posh. That being said, these chickens are not for a beginner and may be their own worst enemy for getting more breeders to raise them.

Back
Top Bottom