Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I am SO excited.... I hatched some project black tailed buffs from a friend and got only one BTB roo that was decent but he had a sprig so he went to freezer camp with the other roos. Then i realized that some of what i thought were wheaten roos were in fact bad versions of btb (sports i guess)... I could only tell them apart because their leg feathers were black AND caramel not just the black of the wheaten roos.

I had just ONE left so i quickly put him with the three BTB hens i had and started hatching like crazy.. then disaster.. My Roo dies (he got into some feed that i didn't realize was wet/moldy
hit.gif
.. because it looked normal)

so i had about 15 of his chicks left and i have been watching them like crazy.. as the boys began to differentiate themselves they were all feathering in looking like wheatens.. so i gave them to the roo guy because hey, i wasn't going to breed them forward anyway and i was getting ready to give up on the project ...

Last night i looked again and I spotted A REAL BTB LOOKING roo in the bunch!!! can't wait until he grows out and i can put him in with his moms.... fingers crossed i am finally back on the BTB path.
he might not be the best specimen, we will have to see but at least he is a proper BTB...

WOOHOO!!!!

What are your BTBs crosses of? I'm curious since I have a beautiful BCM roo x Buff Orpington. Do you have pictures?

I am SO excited.... I hatched some project black tailed buffs from a friend and got only one BTB roo that was decent but he had a sprig so he went to freezer camp with the other roos. Then i realized that some of what i thought were wheaten roos were in fact bad versions of btb (sports i guess)... I could only tell them apart because their leg feathers were black AND caramel not just the black of the wheaten roos.

I had just ONE left so i quickly put him with the three BTB hens i had and started hatching like crazy.. then disaster.. My Roo dies (he got into some feed that i didn't realize was wet/moldy
hit.gif
.. because it looked normal)

so i had about 15 of his chicks left and i have been watching them like crazy.. as the boys began to differentiate themselves they were all feathering in looking like wheatens.. so i gave them to the roo guy because hey, i wasn't going to breed them forward anyway and i was getting ready to give up on the project ...

Last night i looked again and I spotted A REAL BTB LOOKING roo in the bunch!!! can't wait until he grows out and i can put him in with his moms.... fingers crossed i am finally back on the BTB path.
he might not be the best specimen, we will have to see but at least he is a proper BTB...

WOOHOO!!!!
WOOHOO to be sure! We definitely need more folks to work on this beautiful variety. Watch for my PM!!

What are your BTBs crosses of? I'm curious since I have a beautiful BCM roo x Buff Orpington. Do you have pictures?

They aren't crosses, I got them from a south Florida breeder who developed them. My goal is to get these guys to breed true and there are a few things i'd like to improve on, but they are already ready made BTBs they just hatch lots of odd looking ones along with the good ones..

I will post pictures later when i get home.. it is an interesting project :)

btw: they came from www.thefancychicken.com so Mark is the real genius who developed them.

Last edited:

I just hatched a BCM roo x Buff Orpington....looks just like a Buff Orpington...very cute :) Can't tell much now, but i can post a pic and more as it grows. Also hatched crosses with RIR and Barred Rocks... The RIR mixes are pretty...nice red around their face. I've got one that is a HUGE chick!!

I just hatched a BCM roo x Buff Orpington....looks just like a Buff Orpington...very cute :) Can't tell much now, but i can post a pic and more as it grows. Also hatched crosses with RIR and Barred Rocks... The RIR mixes are pretty...nice red around their face. I've got one that is a HUGE chick!!

I was thinking of trying to get lavender marans by crossing them in with my lav orps but then another mad scientist crazy project came along.....

8isenuff - Here's pictures of one of my (BCM roos x Buff Orpintgon) rooster

Day 3 Day 8

Week 6 Week 9

Week 12 Week 17

Week 23 (Patches in the back I believe is also BCM roo x Buff (only other choice is BCM roo x Red Star).

I took one just last weekend when he was 30 weeks old that I will have to post later, my camera with the SD card is in my DH car.

Last edited:
I was thinking of trying to get lavender marans by crossing them in with my lav orps but then another mad scientist crazy project came along.....
Last year I had a broody hen, so I put some eggs under her that I knew were BCM/LO cross. I got several roos, 2 with feathered legs and others without. All of them ended up being black, one solid black and others with copper/gold on their hackles. I caponized them, so that may have affected the degree of coloring because one of them ended up being a slip, so as his comb enlarged he did get some copper coloring on his saddle before I processed him. My avatar is one of the capon crosses and is over 10 pounds now.......Easter dinner.

Back
Top Bottom