Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

I have never noticed it before. I've hatched chicks with large bottoms like that and never thought anything of it. In some photos the other chicks look similar. It may be a combination of the camera angle and his position, or it may be actually there. I'm not to concerned about it as long as he is acting healthy. I personally think it's just fluff, but I can be wrong.

this is my french copper marron??
is it true that breeding him to my easter eggers will give me offspring that lay olive eggs. and if i do manage to get some will i have to trade him if i want more offspring or chicks from the daughters?

this is my french copper marron??
is it true that breeding him to my easter eggers will give me offspring that lay olive eggs. and if i do manage to get some will i have to trade him if i want more offspring or chicks from the daughters?

He looks like a Golden Cuckoo MARANS not a copper. They don't usually lay as dark as coppers and you probably will not get OLIVE..... just green. You can breed the pullets back to him but Olive Eggers are a cross not a breed and will not breed true so you will not end up with 100% green layers you probably would get about 50% green to olive and 50% that lay brown. There is a thread all about Olive Eggers you might want to visit.

oops now i remember this " Cuckoo MARANS" however i didnt recall her saying goldon though she may have... green eggs (green eggs and ham lol) is cool to. i really didnt know that info on marans i really think i would like a few maran this next go around. maybe switch out my roo if i can find him a good home

I've heard that Golden Cuckoos can be sexed at hatch; does that hold true for all lines of GCM or just certain breeders lines? Anyone want to take a guess on my little ones?

BCM on the left; GCM middle (1) and right (2)

GCM (1) in back; GCM (2) on right/front

If they can be sexed - does it have to do with the barring gene? (Complete newbie just trying to get whatever info I can - Thanx!)

I've heard that Golden Cuckoos can be sexed at hatch; does that hold true for all lines of GCM or just certain breeders lines? Anyone want to take a guess on my little ones? BCM on the left; GCM middle (1) and right (2) GCM (1) in back; GCM (2) on right/front If they can be sexed - does it have to do with the barring gene? (Complete newbie just trying to get whatever info I can - Thanx!)
From what I know the gcm chick in the middle is a roo and the chick on the right is a pullet. But don't take my word for it and do any culling or anything! There is a thread on golden cuckoo Marans that could be helpful. It is such a color in development that there is much still evolving. A beautiful bird though!

I was wondering, what do maran chicks look like? I just got a mystery hatch today, and I suspect that a few are marans. Thanks!

There are pictures of chicks ALL through this thread. There is a link in the top that will show you ALL the pictures on the thread........ thousands and thousands of them.

Back
Top Bottom