Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

For clarity: APA standard for Marans is feathered shanks and outer toe. Variety is irrelevant. ALL Marans mush have feathered shanks and outer toe to meet APA Standard of Perfection, color variety notwithstanding. That being said, many cuckoo Marans do not have the required shank/toe feathering and that is a disqualification. DQs are: Yellow on shanks or toes. White ear lobes. Pearl or black eyes. Absence of feathers on shanks.

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/StandardofPerfection.html

Knowledge is power to make better decisions. Everyone breeding Marans should read, study, learn, and eventually memorize and internalize this information.

Correct! I was surprised so many here thought the US had clean legs. Marans from hatcheries come all kinds of ways, but that does not mean they are correct.

Walt

Snowbird has mentioned them. I can't remember if he had them, or wanted them
I suspect those of us who are into Marans probably want them. I saw a mention on Bev's webpage regarding them. But, I did not see them for sale. My son got excited and said, "Dad, I found them on another website," I had to point out to him that it was a UK webpage and you just can't easily or affordably import foreign birds. Green Fire spent a crazy amount of money on their first imports.

For clarity:  APA standard for Marans is feathered shanks and outer toe.  Variety is irrelevant.  ALL Marans mush have feathered shanks and outer toe to meet APA Standard of Perfection, color variety notwithstanding.  That being said, many cuckoo Marans do not have the required shank/toe feathering and that is a disqualification.  DQs are: [COLOR=58281F][COLOR=000000]Yellow on shanks or toes. White ear lobes. Pearl or black eyes. Absence of feathers on shanks.[/COLOR][/COLOR]

http://www.maranschickenclubusa.com/StandardofPerfection.html  

Knowledge is power to make better decisions.  Everyone breeding Marans should read, study, learn, and eventually memorize and internalize this information.

I'm so glad you posted this! I ended up in an argument with someone on FB recently that insisted US standards were the same as English, she also wasn't aware of the MCOA or the APA let alone standards. I gave up, some people cannot be convinced.

I'm so glad you posted this! I ended up in an argument with someone on FB recently that insisted US standards were the same as English, she also wasn't aware of the MCOA or the APA let alone standards. I gave up, some people cannot be convinced.
Australian and English standards are the same or similar.
cool.png

I look at it more as sorting than convincing. I sort out the ones who are unable for some reason to hear and offer what I know to those that truly want to learn...as I have been so freely given the information I have learned from mentors. We're all learning!

Back
Top Bottom