Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

onthespot

Deluxe Dozens
11 Years
Mar 29, 2008
Riverside/Norco, CA
Wow those are some dark eggs! And very cool on hatching all girls (unless you needed a roo) Is that a copper splash in the background there of the other pic, the one with the rusty shoulders showing through?

TammyTX

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 16, 2009
Texas
Quote:The two barred birds in the photo are roo's. Cuckoo Maran females are much darker.

Here's one of mine at around 15 weeks:

Dread Pirate Roberts

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
NorCal
Quote:That's a little EE cockerel who had to go to a new home. He was kind of a blue/copper splash. I had been given the OK to have a rooster last Fall, but as soon as he started crowing...drama, drama, drama.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
NorCal
Y'know, one thing I've noticed about these Marans roosters is that the combs seem to be all over the place with regard to any sort of standard.

I didn't really think about it much until my (former) Foghorn Leghorns started showing these monstrous, nearly perfect combs...

walkswithdog

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
DC Region
I'm on my second attempt with shipped eggs, all but two of the first batch were scrambled or broken.

Somebody just shoot me... I dropped a GCM egg. And I only had three. I could just scream. The carton it was in had a tear I didn't see and it wobbled out when I tilted it and I didn't catch it and ... what a horrid sound. My heart broke with it.

All I wanted was a few GCMs and now I'm down to three. These were special, they were a consolation I gave myself after having to sell off most of my birds to help make a payment for a 1400$ root canal.

I couldn't afford them again in forever and now I killed one.

lickskillet

*Home of the Shoveler*
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Kentucky
Here's an updated pic of our BCM "Rooroo", he's about 4 1/2 months old now. We think he's turning out purdy. Lol

He has oatmeal on his back (thanks to 2yr old DD)

lickskillet

*Home of the Shoveler*
11 Years
Jan 16, 2009
Kentucky
Thank you! He's just started to get real interested in the girls (who take off running for their lives)! Lol He still needs to perfect his crow too, as it's still a little high pitched. He's so sweet, not like roosters we've had in the past. Thanks for commenting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom