Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow those are some dark eggs! And very cool on hatching all girls (unless you needed a roo) Is that a copper splash in the background there of the other pic, the one with the rusty shoulders showing through?

Quote:
The two barred birds in the photo are roo's. Cuckoo Maran females are much darker.

Here's one of mine at around 15 weeks:
23095_all_photos_06-04-09_1145.jpg

Quote:
That's a little EE cockerel who had to go to a new home. He was kind of a blue/copper splash. I had been given the OK to have a rooster last Fall, but as soon as he started crowing...drama, drama, drama.

Y'know, one thing I've noticed about these Marans roosters is that the combs seem to be all over the place with regard to any sort of standard.

I didn't really think about it much until my (former) Foghorn Leghorns started showing these monstrous, nearly perfect combs...

peeps16.jpg

682397e7d948-1.jpg

I'm on my second attempt with shipped eggs, all but two of the first batch were scrambled or broken.

Somebody just shoot me... I dropped a GCM egg. And I only had three. I could just scream. The carton it was in had a tear I didn't see and it wobbled out when I tilted it and I didn't catch it and ... what a horrid sound. My heart broke with it.
barnie.gif
he.gif
hit.gif

All I wanted was a few GCMs and now I'm down to three. These were special, they were a consolation I gave myself after having to sell off most of my birds to help make a payment for a 1400$ root canal.

I couldn't afford them again in forever and now I killed one.
he.gif

Here's an updated pic of our BCM "Rooroo", he's about 4 1/2 months old now. We think he's turning out purdy. Lol

21241_img_1603.jpg

He has oatmeal on his back (thanks to 2yr old DD)
smile.png

21241_img_1608.jpg

Thank you! He's just started to get real interested in the girls (who take off running for their lives)! Lol He still needs to perfect his crow too, as it's still a little high pitched. He's so sweet, not like roosters we've had in the past. Thanks for commenting
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom