Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Wheaten Marans chick is ~ 3.5 weeks old. Would you say this is a pullet? The right leg looks like it's misaligned in the phto, but it isn't in reality.

8freechicksfromBuddy-1.jpg

Quote:
Geebs~
Nope I don't think that I am going to taste him...the feathers may be a bit too much....LOL!

He was suppose to be a Lav AM but since he has ended up with the single comb that tells me that he will not pass on the blue egg gene but instead the brown. I am going to use him on one of my Black Copper Marans pullets that is not showing any signs of copper, hoping to introduce the Lav gene into the Marans for Lav Marans. It will take some time to regain egg color and breed out the puffy cheeks but what the hey right?...... I expect undesired traits to pop up and I am willing to work with them and it seems like a fun project. I'm just excited that he has the correct leg color, feathered shanks and a single comb.....thats a major part of the battle already won. Now if only he was older than 3.5 weeks.
smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you, pinkchick.
wee.gif
That means both of the older Wheaten chicks are pullets.
celebrate.gif

At this moment, I have Wheaten Marans eggs from Buddy Henry hatching in the bator...I'm sure that there are more than enough cockerels in there.
roll.png

Quote:
Thats great to hear thanks! Now I know where to get her line from since we won't be getting them straight from her now. Does anyone know where her Blue Copper and any of the others are for buying? I know GFF has the Black Copper Marans of hers, but were are the others?

Greenfire has the Wheatens, too - and should have them available next spring. I got the impression that she's hanging on the some of the project lines to continue working with them.

Good to hear. Thanks.

Sorry for your lost of the CM's. Best of luck to your next hatch.

Yes that is a Wheaton pullet. Males are darker. Hopefully you will not get to many roos in your hatch.

Quote:
Geebs~
Nope I don't think that I am going to taste him...the feathers may be a bit too much....LOL!

He was suppose to be a Lav AM but since he has ended up with the single comb that tells me that he will not pass on the blue egg gene but instead the brown. I am going to use him on one of my Black Copper Marans pullets that is not showing any signs of copper, hoping to introduce the Lav gene into the Marans for Lav Marans. It will take some time to regain egg color and breed out the puffy cheeks but what the hey right?...... I expect undesired traits to pop up and I am willing to work with them and it seems like a fun project. I'm just excited that he has the correct leg color, feathered shanks and a single comb.....thats a major part of the battle already won. Now if only he was older than 3.5 weeks.
smile.png

i set my first lav Marans project eggs on friday 6 of them and i should have about a dozen to set this friday... they are black maransXlav orp... cant wait tell next year when i can hatch some that will acualy be the lav color instead of splits...
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
Geebs~

smile.png

i set my first lav Marans project eggs on friday 6 of them and i should have about a dozen to set this friday... they are black maransXlav orp... cant wait tell next year when i can hatch some that will acualy be the lav color instead of splits...
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! That's AWESOME!!!!!!!! Ohhhhhhh.......SOOooooooooooOOOOOO MANY good hatching vibes coming your way!!!!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
smile.png
smile.png
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it. I am going to wait until my new pole barn is built-with ELECTRIC fence before I do anything else. Went to work today on the verge of tears and now I have to go back. They were so sweet and little.

nice looking hen and buddy henry is the very best of the best , and let me know if u need any rooster eggs every egg i hatch of my own is a rooster
i must have 20 and i am only keeping 1 from this generation as a back up for the davis rooster that rules the place . her line of wheaten is bigger in my vew in the batches i had for what ever reason

Quote:

berkleysprings, Thank you for the offer, but I have 8 Wheaten Marans chicks that hatched out this afternoon. I'm sure there are several cockerels in there. However, if I'm wrong, I'll let you know. I understand what it's like to be a rooster magnet because I ordered 6 Marans chicks from a different breeder that a friend was to pick up for me. LOL, every single one was a cockerel. That was a couple of years ago and I kept telling myself, "Surely the odds of that happening again is remote" and I decided to try one more time this year.
roll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom