Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks drom! Long time no talk to
wink.png
I remember you helping me try and figure out the BCM chicks sexs. Turns out, I believe you were right! 1 roo and 3 pullets. Gosh, I'll have to go back millions of posts now and look at rooroo again as a baby and make sure. The good ole days! Lol
big_smile.png
I only have 1 pullet left, as we had a tragic dog attack. But have recently hatched out 2 more BCM chicks that I'll have to post to get some more guesses on sex.... Off now to take some chick pics.
smile.png
`

I had to go get some pics too
big_smile.png
Here is a pic of the roo that I think I am going to keep. He is like 6 months.
19853_dscf3711.jpg

19853_dscf3720.jpg

Please tell me what you think. He is from the Presely line I am told. He has a some copper in the chest.

Here are some pics of the roo's I am parting with.
19853_bc_roo_4_sale.jpg

19853_dscf3731.jpg

This last guy is just about all black with very small tints of brown on maybe 2 hackle feathers. He is around 7 months. The other guy looks good execpt for the white earlobes and to much color in the breast so he's a gonner.

Here is a pic of one of my mommas sitting on some nice dark eggs!
caf.gif

19853_dscf3710.jpg

Should be really soon
jumpy.gif

Chef

Hello, I'm new to this thread. All the birds I've seen here are beautiful, I absolutely love Marans. They are quickly becoming my favorite breed. I have 6 Cuckoo Marans, 5 pullets and 1 cockerel. I didn't seen anything on Blue Copper Marans on this thread, but I may have missed it. Today I got a pair of four-month olds, and I am in love with them. Blue is my favorite color in chickens and I am so excited about these two. I was wondering what people here thought about blue coppers

34724_bluemarans1.jpg

34724_bluemarans2.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
So pretty! I have a Blue Copper roo that is 6 months old...the only blue I got out of those eggs. I have 2 younger black copper girls that will go in with him when they're old enough. I love the blues too!

Thanks! I'm so proud of them, they are doing very well in their new home.
Do you think they have good coloring for their age? I know they may change as they grow and that the blue copper is still being developed. I don't mind much if they don't turn out perfect, I was just wondering as I don't know much about their variety.

20413_p6080923.jpg

This is my first hatch from my pullets aren't they cute I almost threw them away incubator said 105 at 1 point..Shocked to see even 1 hatch but pretty good results from my pullets 4 out of 7 hatched and my incubator was all over the place..
celebrate.gif

Quote:
Well, looks like you are keeping the right one for sure Chef. His color looks balanced he has a good comb and and nicely feathered shanks. I can't see the white ear lobes on the other one but that and the black eyes on the last one should DQ them from the breeding program I would think. The red breast doesn't bug me so much but white ear lobes would. And your hen looks very happy and healthy and lovely sitting on her eggs!

I tried to let my hens hatch out some of their own eggs but none hatched. Only a few of the oldest eggs they were sitting on would have been fertile because I actually had to separate the hens from my roos for about a month and a half. The roos got too rough with them. One of my hens got hurt and ended up at the vet getting stitches. They are all doing great now and I have saddles for my hens, but they are still separated and I let only one rooster out with them at a time. I don't know if I have any fertile eggs or not, but one of the things I was waiting on with the hens was to see if they would still lay dark well in to the season and they are. The egg color really hasn't changed much, so I think I should try to get some chicks. Of course the big questions are what kind of egg genes the roosters carry and how they will contribute to egg color.

Mike, I would dearly love to have the almost black roo. Showgirl roo too if you still have him. Sorry I didn't get back to you last week and get him. I was just insanely busy. I will trade you a nice CBM pullet for that black roo.

I was blessed enough to purchase some pullets from onthespot. One started laying. Also she is a reject pullet for the marans breeding project because she had copper on her hackles and dark eyes.
Here is a picture of the hen. Also I tried to show how dark the egg is but everytime the flash keeps washing it out. So then I try without the flash and picture doesn't come out. I did take a picture with one of my RR eggs. Not only is her eggs dark but they are Huge size too.
big_smile.png

18223_002.jpg

18223_007.jpg

18223_001.jpg

If you take the egg pictures outdoors in natural light without flash you should have better luck getting pictures that show the color accurately. I finally figured out that my camera has 3 flash settings. So, I found a flash setting on my camera that is not quite as bright and will take fairly decent pictures indoors, but I still think the outdoor light is the best for taking egg pics

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom