Marans X anything = ??

CANDLE98

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Meridian Idaho
If you breed a cuckoo marans with say a BO what will the babies be like? What about sexlinks? I am not sure about the genetics of each. I would like to have mixed babies that lay semi dark eggs.

The cuckoo color is dominant, so all the babies will be cuckoo colored. So far as the eggs go, I will let you know in about 5 months. I am eggspecting normal colored eggs from the crosses.

So far as olive eggers goes, cross a blue egg layer with a brown or dark brown egg layer and get olive eggs. I should have some of those this fall as well thanks to some mix eggs I got from Solsken Farm this spring!!! I have a bunch of pea combed, feather legged, muffed birds that I am pretty sure are going to be olive eggers!

We have two crosses with our Marans hen. We have a super sweet cuckoo Marans X Speckled Sussex. He has white feed and some feathers, but not many on the legs. He is a larger bird than his Mama and is taking after his Daddy in shape. Also in temperment. He has one token red feather in his hackles. He stands next to his Dad now and begs for treats just like him. LOL We really like him but he isn't needed here so is up for free to good home. Can't bring myself to put him in the freezer.

The other is a Marans X Easter Egger. He is also cuckoo colored and a slighter built bird. He has more yellowish feet with a hint of greenish grey down the front. He isn't nearly as friendly, but is in the Easter Egger coop now in hopes of adding some barring pattern into the EE flock. His coloration is darker than his brothers cuckoo pattern.

Over all beautiful birds.

Back
Top Bottom