Marans

I just think the Marans are pretty. Especially the speckled ones..but I cant find them. I'm looking into the BCM's, have some cuckoo eggs coming next week to test hatch, and the goldens are beautiful too. I've always thought phoenix are awesomely beautiful, but know nothing about them. As well as thinking the Silkies are pretty...and my friend gave me some frizzles and sizzles (the ones living currently in my spare room til their pen is finished) and they are the neatest things i've ever seen.

I didn't mean to start a war on here...was just trying to get opinions. Haven't had chickens since I was a teenager... and then, we only had eating eggs. I'm still in the process of investigating other breeds. I'm not looking for a fad..just think the BCM egg color is awesome... and the birds strike me as pretty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wouldn't get marans. I didn't like my cuckoo ones at all and I really think the big demand for them has faded. Frankly, I knew it was going to and only got cuckoos because I had always wanted some. Mine were terrible flighty, egg eaters, and feather pluckers with roos that were way too aggressive with the hens.
I agree, welsummers have a much better personality.

i dont think you started a war i just think the line on this issue is very defined i just dont care for them i think a nice heritage breed or idelic american barnyard chicken never hurt anyone that is why i like BR's and NHR's and my EE's are just a little "science project" on the side!!! lol

Well as I always say get a variety, then you can decide what appeals to you. If you've only got one coop then you need to plan on another and another and another.
Anyhow you can keep a second flock for breeding the breed you like.
I've divided my coop and that way I can breed 2 breeds. One flock of 23 and another of 6.
I have a mixed flock and will hatch only the eggs from the breed I have a roo for and then be able to hatch eggs from the other flock.
I am going to need another coop cause I need a place to keep hens that need a rest or an infirmory. (spelling?)

Quote:
Welsummers really are nice birds, and with good egg color. However I also have Marans and find them very docile and have never had an egg eating problem or them being aggressive with me, my kids or eachother. I have a dominant roo and all the younger birds respect him, but are not affraid of him. I say if you like the breed, then go for it. Their eggs are darker in color, and are of course YUMMY too!
tongue.png

"AndNowChickens"...your eggs should be there by Tuesday
smile.png
Keep me posted on your hatch
wink.png

If you want extremely docile birds with great personalities you should try Salmon Faverolles and Easter Eggers. Those are two of my favorites! All of mine are extremely friendly, and the mixed ones that hatched (EE roo, SF hens) are incredibly adorable and even more friendly than their parents!

I have some cuckoo Marans. They aren't that friendly. One of the roosters was extremely aggressive. The other two remaining roosters do their roo jobs well, don't attack, but also will not stand being touched.

Last edited:
My wellsummers are actually better layers and friendlier then my BCM Marans and Cuckoo Marans have ever been. I also bet that as good producers of dark eggs they will have more staying power as they haven't been a fad like the Marans have been. Salmon Faverolles are also great and docile layers but only light brown eggs
hmm.png
My EE's haven't been friends neither have my Blue black splash ameraucana but my Wheaten and blue wheaten ameraucana have been very friendly birds.

good luck,
Henry

My Black Copper Marans rooster is the sweetest thing ever. He will lay on his back on my lap and sleep there while I am on the computer. He will watch TV. He will come when called. When he is in the house and he has to go to the bathroom he will go to his little house and go and then come back. He is very nice and loves to be handled by people.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom