Marans

vigario

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I am finding it hard to find Maran laying hens. Am I going to have to quit looking and raise some chicks?

MV

Where are you at?

Alot of people dont want to part with their layers, most everyone wants to sell eggs or chicks. Are you looking for any one line, or doesnt it matter?

A lot of breeders don't let their hens go until Fall when they evaluate their breeding stock and plan for the following season. You might be able to pick-up some pullets or retired hens, then.

Unfortunately i think so. Thats what i had to do. I looked for months. But couldnt find any.
hmm.png
But i understand why people dont sell them they are beautiful birds. Hope you find some.
smile.png

As said. Most people don't want to part with their laying hens, they're too valuable. If anything, people will part with a pale/poor quality layer. So really your chances are to just go with chicks or hatching eggs. Personally I don't see much wrong with that besides more money spent in the long run, but, I like chickens for chickens, not just for instant egg gratification.

We do have a a Black Marans hen and rooster for sale. Nothing wrong with them besides them being Black and we are looking to only have BCMs.
They are from last year's hatch.
They are $25 each. We live in S. Jersey 30minutes from Philadelphia, only pick up, won't ship.
Thanks, Michella

I would suggest you buy some chicks from a hatchery for eggs. I got mine from darkeggsdaily.com when they ran a special on cuckoo marans for for $.15 a chick( can you beleve that). Marans are best lays their first year but decline as they start to go broody their second year and go more detirmined with each year. I have spashes and black coppers also but still think my cuckoos lay better. Murray McMurray and Ideal Hatchery show they sell Cuckoos. I saw that farwesthatchery.com had sexed black coppers still too. Hope this gives you some good leads.

I myself am seeking chicks or eggs to hatch. But only want to get them from someplace I can pick them up personally. No shipping cuz I can handle the loss of life that too oft happens in shipping.

I am finding it hard to find Maran laying hens. Am I going to have to quit looking and raise some chicks?

MV
You might try Ernie Haire in Arp, TX. He has a large breeding operation and might have sme hens for you. His quality is excellent. Persistant show wins against top competition. If he doesn't have any, he knows several other TX breedrs who show and win and might be able to help you. Much better to wait till Fall for your grown birds than try and start with eggs this late in the year. The best winter layers are hatched between early March and middle April. Maybe Ernie has some started chicks for sale. See his 2XL Boer Goat website for contact info.
Best,
karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom