marans

ray24

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 7, 2012
Texas
Hi, I will soon have a few splash maran laying hens. What is the best variety of maran rooster to put with them? I don't care what colors I get.
Thank you

If you don't care what colours you get then why does it matter what male you use?

Hi, I will soon have a few splash maran laying hens. What is the best variety of maran rooster to put with them? I don't care what colors I get.
Thank you
Black Marans. Of the colors which will give you pretty chicks, Black is a standard choice. Check around and find a rooster out of a hen who lays the dark egg. Plus a cock with excellent breed type. Use a top winning Black Copper Marans cock as an example of quality type when you are selecting your black boy. The male has the most effect on the color of the eggs his children will lay. So find some show results for Marans egg shows. Check the catagory for "Black Marans". Contact the winners and ask them which is their best male. Look for a quality son out of him by a dark egg laying female.
Best,
Karen

Currently 2 varieties of Marans are recognized in the Standard: Wheaten & Black Copper. Neither of these will result from a Splash mating.
If you are talking about Marans type then again, colour doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom