Marblehead, OH

BaileyVanKirk

Hatching
May 7, 2015
I was on the docket for an informal zoning meeting in my village last night. I presented a short brief stating my desire for a small flock of 3-6 layer hens, including a page of facts about chickens, the benefit of healthier eggs, support from the two neighbors in the adjacent lots, and a list of other nearby townships and suburbs that allow them.

5 out of the 6 people on the board told me they would vote it down, even if I apply for a variance and petition neighbors.

Their reasons ranged from "we dont want them to get hit by cars " (even though i explained several times that they would be penned, to "we would be afraid of setting a precendent for something like this".

An elderly neighbor was sitting in the crowd and piped up with "I think this is a great idea, especially if she sells me eggs". We're a small village, our main industry is tourism in the summer months. We dont have any chain stores or restaurants directly in town, which is a fabulous thing. However, that means a drive to any sort of market, and an even longer drive to the one grocery store that carries organic eggs.

I'm about to go pick up the paperwork for the variance, I guess I'm just kind of disheartened at the moment. I'm already planning to petition and rally local supporters.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Thank you so much for reading.

-Bailey

Hi! Wondering whatever happened with this? We are considering a place in Marblehead, and wondering if we'd be able to bring "the girls" up for the summer.

Back
Top Bottom