March 2018 Hatch-a-long

Hahaa, not even close!!! Two more hatched over the next several hours and now we are just waiting. 3 down. 16 to go.
At the end of day 20-ish, 6 of 18 babies have hatched. Four were Olive Eggers, (two left to go, both have pipped), one was an Orpington mix. And one solitary Marans out of 12 brown eggs! The other 11 aren’t even wiggling.
I had to refill the humidity tray. I have one of the 5 gallon auto refill buckets for my incubator but didn’t get one for the hatcher...I definitely should have!
I’m hoping tomorrow the hatcher will be full of cheepers and I can call this week’s hatch. The next babies are due the day before Easter, so we are doing the Easter hatch a long.

All 6 of my Olive Eggers plus the Orp hatched yesterday and late last night. I had one BCM baby last night, one when I checked this morning, and two eggs are working on zipping now. The other 8 are just sitting there! Gahhhh!!! I’m pretty sure this is day 21, so they aren’t late-but I’m always nervous until everybody is out!

I traced all the air cells before lockdown and marked their lowest point. The pip is definitely well within the air cell, thankfully. I think he pipped internally around the same time that others did, so if he hasn't at least made himself a good hole through the outer membrane by the time I'm back home then I think I'll open up the pip a little to make sure he's getting enough air in there.

Got home from work yesterday to see that final one had hatched all on his own :) It's on the smaller side but seems perfectly healthy. First hatch complete, and it was from shipped eggs with a 100% hatch rate. I'm ecstatic but also have about twice as many chicks as I was prepared to have :lau

At the end of day 20-ish, 6 of 18 babies have hatched. Four were Olive Eggers, (two left to go, both have pipped), one was an Orpington mix. And one solitary Marans out of 12 brown eggs! The other 11 aren’t even wiggling.
I had to refill the humidity tray. I have one of the 5 gallon auto refill buckets for my incubator but didn’t get one for the hatcher...I definitely should have!
I’m hoping tomorrow the hatcher will be full of cheepers and I can call this week’s hatch. The next babies are due the day before Easter, so we are doing the Easter hatch a long.

Maybe the other Marans are resting? I only had 3 and they were very inactive for a long time after pipping, and then all hatched together at lightening speed. Fingers crossed for you!

Got home from work yesterday to see that final one had hatched all on his own :) It's on the smaller side but seems perfectly healthy. First hatch complete, and it was from shipped eggs with a 100% hatch rate. I'm ecstatic but also have about twice as many chicks as I was prepared to have :lau
What!! on shipped eggs is incredible-i don’t even get that on my eggs I hatch from my yard! (Not all are fertile.)

Back
Top Bottom