March 2023 hatch-a-long

If I have a lot of eggs to candle, I try to be quick bc it is open longer and they hold heat less (it seems) when the embryo is small. I don’t worry about it too much, though. I candle pretty often so I only candle the ones I was wondering about at lockdown and remove ones I’m positive are dead. Only time I open after that is to get the humidity up again, and I TRY to take them out quickly in batches (one at a time since I take a picture and band a leg, which takes longer than just grabbing the hatched ones and putting them in a basket). And then wait till I have a good amount to remove again. I also try to time it so nobody is zipping when I open. I do hatch in cut down egg cartons and use an egg turner so the process at lockdown for me is getting my second incubator set up, separating by various parentage, putting them in cartons, and removing the turner. I try to be all set up before I open the incubator so I’m not fumbling and rushing.
Can you explain the cut down egg carton thing? Is this so you know which babies came out of each egg? Do you have any pictures of how you do the lockdown with the cartons?

I have chicks in a separate pen, they get out sometimes. One that got out, I call Nub. It may be part araucana. The side ear tuffs stick straight out. Like photo but feathers that stick straight out.
tuff.PNG

Back
Top Bottom