March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Here's my clutch so far! I just love hatch day! We're more than halfway there.....
17 Beautiful, healthy babies so far..... 2 more drying off in the incubator, 10 more pipped, and 6 taking their sweet time to join the party.
5uYSUk5nQr0vDAReoUzgmExedL19V6mIcjORCJI2CGt_aPtHUHv4yCUYVsOCOuqBgSptTJkFfmVr86ZyvnRjs4rH0pCupqQEsPmhexBlWNcnR15HFiOCe9RcgBkFDfGUO0X9zRbawKxsePP_k3OJilPjRr2AQyPlVTtAXc8otMGRRkT6BPBVUaDOrqPlqoWhbSFXouWtzxLva2yWTRZk1uYWe3zhO6vdgkmXp1l0AElPxhq-JT3e49E4O7Pp0fyrtuYvoNjALYVdHcditTIOWtEkToRnZ0IddVRHU_HzAKr9_qwuKxanU92GTEfj2eJ1QT-aSpKfbsNbEwO8FdERKQX90mxyHFTE4-nkLBufFze-D1_18oosWsf0pUI9VHazeV6xWOr4fJALSlTlaWJGJmx3QqdbsN_NpfAbvPb2RJUsDIIqg-SvrTBv0HqEoeS8-Zzsk9NRhY4ksQ_A3lh_sYR96bopOYCq5hopF2uQKnGe0GlQYmzTs84x58DRXlzAH47hW0Jat17xF54jQTmAWXvmmQ7kpr3Q-HEhI0dIiKGrktV3v8aXW2rvRKMKeXgGM0L9NT22G-_FZzl44fcEAkEha360pwIB7qWXyi2tDtmpweqcYP2fCYEhblkVU8vdAOEIIgPwdN8b3nyTYzgrYnLz8l7TW1mQTci6tIJ2gG7BUqTZd8538VEClJCHs9FzJr7IeHmqLiqOiLYJ97cfpgr9FIKqMVyiOdgHI33jwImIqGo8__E0y0laigsVcmQHHQHyj4vINRbPo1jUkNa-TWSzC7F8vD-AdDn7Y0sdQmMv9_potaCOuPjfVh_g4O7L_TKnW6hh_lSfJI15PvwZ6uR0feQUD2QY5A5ZzTSsSq-ZX1R6llpXcpr3g6iZFDugh86QSXY_KRC46Wt0VUC3b9j9JGMaMqWL_mLOMvZPDOMtctJx=w850-h990-no

I’ve been debating what to hatch, I just need a bigger incubator 😅😅😅 Still so made I didn’t get that Maticoopx… It’s about $150 now and hardly ever in stock. Finally decided on olive eggers (WTBxWelsummer/BCM) and I’ll do bantams next time. 10 WTB eggs and 2 dark brown that are either Welsummer or Barnevelder. My black Barnies lay darker than my blue, our flock is slowly going all black based. I’ll get a WTB roo for next year that’s a different colour I think

01C0159D-1F88-420E-897C-8E1B5B822BBE.jpeg

I lost power yesterday due to fires. My home survived but I'm wondering if my incubating eggs could've survived after a couple hours with no power. I'm in Naples, FL so it's very warm and humid. I don't think they were without power for more than 2-3 hours but I'm not sure. Do y'all think they can make it? I'm going to candle tomorrow but figured I'd ask anyway.

I lost power yesterday due to fires. My home survived but I'm wondering if my incubating eggs could've survived after a couple hours with no power. I'm in Naples, FL so it's very warm and humid. I don't think they were without power for more than 2-3 hours but I'm not sure. Do y'all think they can make it? I'm going to candle tomorrow but figured I'd ask anyway.
Thank goodness your house is ok. Your eggs should be just fine with a few hours without power. 🤞🏼🤞🏼Frequent temp fluctuations outside ideal or spending lengthy amounts of time at low temps can cause problems but a few hours is not a big deal.

Oh gosh, thank goodness you’re all ok! One of my hatches got unplugged by a kid and it turned out ok, I bet just a few hours won’t make an issue 🤞🏼

I also lost power early on in this hatch, but i live in a cold climate and I’m hatching shipped eggs. I think it MIGHT have contributed to a couple of early quitters (blood rings) but you never know with shipped eggs (had a lot of scrambled eggs in that shipment despite being really well packed) I’m sure your eggs will be better off since you’re in Florida! 🤞

Can some that have weighed their eggs and also marked air cells that have the correct % of weight loss post up some pics of marked air cells on day 7 and 14 please (if you have them before lockdown those as well). I didn't weigh mine this time since I had a time crunch to set them. I am marking air cells but then always get nervous that they are too small. I have looked up pictures and they always show them angled on the eggs and mine aren't angled really until around lockdown so I can't tell how mine look compared to those.
Here are mine from days 8 and early 14. This is my first hatch so I cannot claim to know if it's proper development or not, maybe someone here could chime in. I believe about 5.2% weight loss day 8 and and 8.6% early day 14. Hopefully I'm on target.

Hatching chicks is a stressful adventure. You stare at eggs for three weeks and then it all gets real, real fast. Our first two hatches went without a hitch today, but hatch three and four were a doozy. We had a stuck chick who took way too long to hatch and then a chick who decided to cut her foot on a shell and bleed all over. Had to move the first two chicks to the brooder sooner than planned because the incubator is now the sick bay. Hopefully the problem two survive the night. We still have one unhatched egg but if it doesn't pip overnight it's probably not going to hatch. Next step is getting them all together in the brooder, eating and drinking tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20230304_085321.jpg
    20230304_085321.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom