March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
how do you figure your hatch rate? I am guessing just by how many start and how many you end up with? so don't count clears???
Yes, that's it. I don't count clears because they were never fertilized in the first place and would be impossible for them to develop anything. They just shouldn't count at all.

I just fill the incubators, then at the first candling I remove the clears, and what's left is my starting number. Whatever hatches and survives to make it into the brooder, and makes it through the first few days, is my ending number.

I don't count any chicks who die after hatch due to reasons unrelated to the incubation and hatch - such as injury, wry neck, or electrical failure (heat).

I forgot to update, but the 8 shipped eggs went into lockdown this weekend. They should be hatching 3/7 and 3/8, in time for my and my son’s birthdays! Maybe we will start making a tradition of hatching on our birthdays.

And…after that, i should be hatching every week until the end of March because i couldn’t stop adding eggs 🤦‍♀️ but now the incubator is FULL. all should be barnyard mixes from my SLW cockerel, perhaps a few SLW/GLW

Attachments

• 628E7E64-9B24-469C-8670-94D3B91FB42C.jpeg
    628E7E64-9B24-469C-8670-94D3B91FB42C.jpeg
    554.5 KB · Views: 1
Yes, that's it. I don't count clears because they were never fertilized in the first place and would be impossible for them to develop anything. They just shouldn't count at all.

I just fill the incubators, then at the first candling I remove the clears, and what's left is my starting number. Whatever hatches and survives to make it into the brooder, and makes it through the first few days, is my ending number.

I don't count any chicks who die after hatch due to reasons unrelated to the incubation and hatch - such as injury, wry neck, or electrical failure (heat).
ok thanks! that is what I thought. So I had 11 shipped and 6 of mine that started. so starting # should be 17. down to 16 now hopefully we stay there!

I took 14 chicks out this morning. One is still trying to hatch. I just couldn't tell if all had hatched or not. That is the only bad thing about this incubator. You can't see what is happening in the back. But 14 out of 15 chicks is not bad. And who knows, maybe the last one will make it too until tomorrow morning. After that he or she is out of luck. Tomorrow morning those chicks will get their Marek immunization. And I will turn off the machine.

View attachment 3420274View attachment 3420275View attachment 3420276
Omg how adorable! ❤️❤️

Mph! I am SOOO behind here. I missed like 6 or 7 pages here because I accidentally closed the tab and I felt too lazy to open it again. Then I thought of all of the pages that would be there. I am NOOT going back to read them, like @BarnyardChaos.

@gimmie birdies, I use elastic bands, for the sake of just sharing.
No joke! I’m literally reading 15 previous pages to catch up because I’m currently swimming in chicks. I have one broody who just hatched nine chicks yesterday, and had to add two of her eggs in the bator with 19 eggs that are on day seven. I have a broody who hatched nine chicks three weeks ago. I have a brooder with nine chicks that are two weeks old. I have a broody fixing to hatch 10 eggs on Wednesday. I will be up all night trying to catch up 🥴🥱

Back
Top Bottom