March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
All Australorp father's, 3 OE mom's, 2 Cal. White mom's, 1 FCM mom's, 9 pure Australorp.

IMG_20230311_193808667.jpg

We ended up with 8 chicks! We started with 12 eggs, had 2 quitters, 1 didn't make it out of the shell and still have 1 pekin duck egg that's a week behind. Not too bad!

The one that didn't make it out had a very small air cell and showed no signs of progress past the internal pip. So, last night I made a safety hole in the top of the air cell with a 1/8" drill bit between my fingertips and got a tiny bit of blood. This caught me off guard because I thought that the air cells were the safe zone. I have never had to assist to that level and only clear out the external pips to help them breath better on the past. We had 2 eggs with abnormally small air cells and, thankfully, the other hatched perfectly fine. You learn something new from every hatch! This is dangerous to own an incubator because we now have 2 ducks and 22 chicks! Our city only allows 4 hens so we will be helping out friends that want chickens and maybe sell some to cover costs and get as close to 4 as possible with some chicken math formulas. 🤣🤣🤣
JPEG_20230311_210833_3254933310330914114.jpg

Do you have Corid on hand? That’s what I used for Coccidosis when my chicks had it two years ago.
I’m in Canada and from what I can tell from reading on here I need to get it from a vet. I’m calling vet on Monday but also posted on my local Facebook chicken groups to see what people get around here.

I also just let my humidity drop to 30 in my incubator on day 13 because I was distracted with current chicks ugh. I went from confident to hot mess express in no time.
Mine has dropped to 20 a couple times, was fine when I went to bed then woke up like that, but average humidity has been 43ish. It is more the ave than a dip or a time too high. It is more when externally pipped you don't want it to go low for too long.

Back
Top Bottom