March 2023 hatch-a-long

Oh right when mine hatch!!!! I am hoping if I hatch in March this year they will all be laying before shorter days come since I am still waiting on one April baby from last year and my July babies from last year.
That April bird ain’t laying yet? Definitely defective! Give it a good talking to and that should do the trick.

That April bird ain’t laying yet? Definitely defective! Give it a good talking to and that should do the trick.
NO! I am ready to threaten to make her into chicken nuggets!!!!!!!! LOL back in Sept/Oct she got really red comb and wattles and started checking out the coop a lot, checking out nest boxes. We had about a week she would be in the nest boxes a lot, a few of those days were 1+ hrs...... then BOOM her comb wasn't as red and she stopped checking out the boxes (around the same time the rest were slowing down on laying so know it was from lack of daylight)...... Her comb and wattles went red again maybe a month ago, she has been going in the coop a bit more the past week but still not a lot and not really checking out the nest boxes......... so who knows. I figure MAYBE in the next year she will lay her first egg. LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heck one of my July babies beat her!!!!! and my other July babies and even Aug baby are starting to show interest in the nest boxes so they may just beat her too. LOL

I set 54 eggs last night. In the last two days the girls started to lay a bit more. It will be a relatively small hatch. Also due to the cold temperatures we've been having. Can't wait to candle for the first time!
I WISH I could set that many at one time. My incubator technically only holds 22 but I have been known to "stack" some to hopefully end up with 22 after weeding out any that don't develop. Sure my husband is happy that it doesn't hold more! LOL

I WISH I could set that many at one time. My incubator technically only holds 22 but I have been known to "stack" some to hopefully end up with 22 after weeding out any that don't develop. Sure my husband is happy that it doesn't hold more! LOL
NR360? I have been known to stack too, but I just ordered a custom turner that holds 30 bantam eggs.

I had a broody hen up and abandon her eggs and had no idea when she layed them or how long they had been abandoned. I went ahead and candled them to my surprise saw movement but did hold out much hope but put in the incubator anyway. I have one hatching as I’m typing this out. It will join the other 4 that hatched out yesterday and day before. But I’m all for hatching more in March.

Back
Top Bottom