March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Glad I’m not the only one who stuffed the bator! 😂😂
You mean it is not normal to put 30 eggs in a 22 egg incubator????? 😂🤣😂🤣

Not thinking I will have the same results as you. I would be shocked if even half of mine developed, meaning from my girls. I have high hopes for the shipped ones.
You all ain’t the only ones. I have Call ducks, only 5 are mine, unless there is silver calls that hatch then I get to keep those, Ayam Cemani’s, bantam Cochins, 2 from my French Black Maran, and 4 of my Pavlovskaya’s. My banter only holds “41” eggs but I have it holding 47 eggs. 5 I will have to go in and turn by hand but it’s worth it. Won’t take long to do either.

Attachments

• 21C67BC5-BAEF-4090-BDB4-52644F606602.jpeg
    21C67BC5-BAEF-4090-BDB4-52644F606602.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 2
I am holding off candling until tomorrow, which will be day 5.

Except for obvious clears I never pull dubious eggs until they've failed two candlings and I never candle closer than 3 days apart.

Usually it's just day 7, day 14, and lockdown. But I do need to check for clears earlier this time because of the overfilling issue. I hate hand-turning.

I am holding off candling until tomorrow, which will be day 5.

Except for obvious clears I never pull dubious eggs until they've failed two candlings and I never candle closer than 3 days apart.

Usually it's just day 7, day 14, and lockdown. But I do need to check for clears earlier this time because of the overfilling issue. I hate hand-turning.
I did this with the Call eggs because I knew that some would fail. Just wasn’t sure how many. Once my lockdown is up and the chicks that are going to hatch in my other incubator (and of course cleaned), I will be moving the Calls to the other one so I don’t have to turn. But the bonus is, is that they will go in lockdown the same time.

My problem was, I promised someone 15 chicks and have never tested fertility. 4 guys and almost 50 ladies. So I was figuring about half would be fertile, and set 31 eggs. Well…at least 27 are fertile. 3 were porous/dark & I couldn’t see well. Only one actually looked clear. Luckily I had a few CL customers I had to turn down for my next hatch, and have 2 people who want the extras. But I’m stuck hand turning. 😂

I don’t mind. And I know fertility is almost 100% for when I set again or sell hatching eggs!

Back
Top Bottom