March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I didn't set any yet, but just wanted to see how they would look more crowded.
IMG_5193.JPG

Out of my original 44, I have removed 9 unfertilized and 5 quitters so I have 30 still going. Of those 30 so many are very dark so I can't see much but don't see any "sloshing" around. I'm hopeful to have a really good hatch! Lock down starts Wednesday! This never gets old. 💗
I candled again last night and still have 11 of my original 12 (had 1 clear), all wiggling (could even see their little feet through a couple of the lighter colored shells). I will also be on lockdown this week to hatch this weekend.

I naturally gravitate towards the big chickens so I’m excited to see the Brahma out of this hatch but I have to say…the two little Polish I hatched last month may convince me to look into hatching more of them. I just love how friendly they are.
I really like the polish as chicks and up to teenager age. I'm not as much a fan once they can't see properly.

Incubator humidity question for lockdown

I have an old hova Bator that I have no idea of the model or year.
I was going to do dry hatch this time but my house is dry during winter months and humidity keeps going down to 10%... So I have been adding wet paper towels twice a day right now to keep the humidity in 20-40% range. But I don't always get time to keep up with it

So for lockdown. How can I keep the humidity stable
Do I add water into both slots ? Shall I add some paper towel in the slots or just water in the slot or add sponge in the slots with water. Trying to think about something to keep it stable for 3 4 days so I don't have to open the lid

Thanks

I really like the polish as chicks and up to teenager age. I'm not as much a fan once they can't see properly.
That’s definitely a concern I have with them. Especially with my area being predator heavy. I’m only letting free range if myself or dog present (in fenced area) in terms of planning but trying out different breeds to see what is going to work for us.

Day 8
Everyone looks good but my lavender Orpingtons not quite as active. Marans are now hard to see…..as usual.
Candling pictures 🕯️
Fingers crossed for your lavender Orpington!!!!! I got 4 in my shipped eggs and none developed. 😥. I have 3-4 more coming on the 17th to try again. But I do have 3 lavender Brahmas still going strong

Incubator humidity question for lockdown

I have an old hova Bator that I have no idea of the model or year.
I was going to do dry hatch this time but my house is dry during winter months and humidity keeps going down to 10%... So I have been adding wet paper towels twice a day right now to keep the humidity in 20-40% range. But I don't always get time to keep up with it

So for lockdown. How can I keep the humidity stable
Do I add water into both slots ? Shall I add some paper towel in the slots or just water in the slot or add sponge in the slots with water. Trying to think about something to keep it stable for 3 4 days so I don't have to open the lid

Thanks
You can still open it during lockdown. They will be fine. A mama hen will still get up off the nest to eat, drink and poop they don't go into lockdown for 3 days. Heck a couple of mine got up after pips....

Back
Top Bottom