March 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
Just oneeeeeee more candling tonight and everyone is looking great! Winter hatches seem to go much better for me 🤷🏽‍♀️ New 30 egg incubator arriving tomorrow and I’ll fill it with more WTB and hopefully Polish mixes! One for sure, I waited ages for Goldie to pop it out while I watched lol. Then silkies and maybe a few random bantam eggs that will satisfy my curiosity on who is laying maybe

I always crack them open to see what I can see if they don’t survive my day 10 candling. If they are clear, I throw them into our field for the roadrunner or whatever may want to eat it. The eggtopsy remains go in the bin.
I do this as well. I always open the quitters. I feel like it's a learning experience.

I hope I'm not over posting; I am just bursting with excitement even though it's not my first time hatching. It never gets old. I woke up to 5 more legbars for a total of 7 this morning and was surprised with 1 BCM hatchling. I am concerned for a few of them but will see how it goes until the 24 hour mark.
PXL_20230311_102202044.PORTRAIT.jpg

I hope I'm not over posting; I am just bursting with excitement even though it's not my first time hatching. It never gets old. I woke up to 5 more legbars for a total of 7 this morning and was surprised with 1 BCM hatchling. I am concerned for a few of them but will see how it goes until the 24 hour mark. View attachment 3428160
I don’t think you can ‘over post’ chick pictures! I’m loving seeing everyone’s hatch updates. I hope the chicks your worried over come through ok. 🤞🏼

My green eggs from a local farm but bought at a store, was doing well 11/12 on day 6. Since my last batch 34/36 hatched, I thought I was on my way to another good hatch.
I just candled today day 12, and I had to pull seven eggs, so now I only have 4 left, and one of those, looks to be headed south. They did have bigger air cells, when I set them, I think they were older than I would have wanted, plus if your aircell starts bigger you may not want to dry hatch, like I did.

My second set, same farm, better air cells, are doing fine, maybe 4 are clear. I will know in a few days. They are on day 2. They got heated in a different incubator for 24 hrs.

Back
Top Bottom