March 2023 hatch-a-long

I will never get over chicks with fluffy cheeks!! Congrats on the beautiful chickies! 🐣
I forgot to mention I thought I was getting wheaten marans but that’s my next eggs lol
2 are copper marans and then my buff/blue buff Columbian Brahma both turned out to be black! One lavender Orpington looks like it’s black with some yellow spots.

Lockdown is tonight around 8:30! I see some of the eggs wiggling around already! Tempted to go lock down early, but I know it will be easier to candle them once last time when it's dark.. I have 15 to check!
So, I also have a dozen 1 week chicks right now... will they be okay if I put them together? Or should keep them separate for a while?

I am not sure how to handle this. I try to have a "no helping" policy but when it's more or less my fault there's a problem, I feel obligated to help.

This is where I find myself.

I can let nature take it's course with one that's just pipped and not progressing, but if I hear a partially-zipped chick peeping wildly as it struggles without making progress I can't stand to hear the peeps getting weaker and weaker. :(

Lockdown is tonight around 8:30! I see some of the eggs wiggling around already! Tempted to go lock down early, but I know it will be easier to candle them once last time when it's dark.. I have 15 to check!
So, I also have a dozen 1 week chicks right now... will they be okay if I put them together? Or should keep them separate for a while?
I was told up to 3-4 weeks you can combine them normally with no problems. I plan on waiting a few days to a week to combine but that is since mine will be 3 weeks apart in age so want the littles bigger. If it was only a week I would maybe give the younger ones a day or two to get their legs and balance well and then combine them.

Anyone ever see a line like this when candling on day 3? I did a few candles, some were dark & hard to see and I saw a few obvious circles starting, but I’ve never seen something like this…it’s only day 3, so a quitter would barely even show. Ideas?
1679352371809.jpeg

Anyone ever see a line like this when candling on day 3? I did a few candles, some were dark & hard to see and I saw a few obvious circles starting, but I’ve never seen something like this…it’s only day 3, so a quitter would barely even show. Ideas?
View attachment 3438198
I have NOT seen that before, sorry 🙁

View attachment 3438198
I’ve not seen a vertical line, either. Is it possible it’s like a blood spot in the yolk? I’ve noticed it from time to time when cracking eggs for eating. This seems like it would be sorta big in comparison, though.

Back
Top Bottom