March 21 CHICKEN SWAP TSC MILFORD NH ( recycled post with new date)

Quote:
Gypsy,

true that! I already trade eggs for fresh homemade bread! And we're planning to make any future cockerals into meals. I've never been up to that before, but I have eggs in the bator and well, homegrown chicken has got to be so much better nutritionally than what we currently get in the store. Plus, I have large dreams for my garden this year.

As a side note, thanks for directing me to the swap outside from your table in the backroom (Feb). When I first got there, I made a beeline for the back of the store. I only saw quail, bunnies and a lone rooster in that back room and I literally held back tears. I drove my family 2hrs to get there and was so excited to add to my flock. My hubby says he saw the look on my face and told the children to stay away from me cuz I needed some space! I probably looked like a frightened child when I came up and asked you if anyone else was coming! Thanks for kindly showing me the way.
wink.png

Robin, you poor thing I saw the deer in the head light look, Glad I was able to help.
always check the outside, there are so many of us who like to set up out side. normally I am one of them but the quail were used to being inside so they really couldnt take the chill.
IF we do it inside again there will definately be bigger signs pointing everyone in the right direction.

the person from western mass, is westford ma closer for you? there are swaps there.

for the person who cant make the swap and wanted to pick up at my house that is do able also, i can pm you directions, i am on the seacoast of nh. so if your not going to make it pm me.

and the person who went into the back room and almost cried, i love that your dh knows when you need space!! lol that is funny. and i am glad you came outside. hope you were there early, i felt badly for some that pulled up later and most things had left.

and the fudge, i didnt even see you at the last swap, me and my friend will find you at the next one!!

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm the one from western ma and the one who almost cried! And I'm the one who got those two cute little un-id'd banties! I keep forgetting about the westford one, it's an 1 1/2 from here, so not a big difference. Besides, all the updates and conversations on here make this one sound so appealing!

Quote:
Someone needs to set up a swap in the Greenfield, MA area for all the Western Mass & southern VT chicken people. That's only 40 min from us so we'd prolly go to that one too.
smile.png

Quote:
Someone needs to set up a swap in the Greenfield, MA area for all the Western Mass & southern VT chicken people. That's only 40 min from us so we'd prolly go to that one too.
smile.png

that shouldnt be too hard, there are multiple places over there it can be set up at.
there is Blue Seal in Winchendon, there are also places in Greenfield, Athol,Orange , Pelham.
The Keene Swap is always an option also as it is only an hour give or take from Vt and Mass.
I can check into it and see what places would be receptive of us invading lol.
I have a friend who lives in Pelham that can give me ideas as to where would be a good place to approach also.

Quote:
I will tell you the breeds I currently have coming but some are sold out for this hatch date. my original order was placed at the beginning of feb. I plan ahead big time. one breed is sold out for this year. houdan,porcelin d uucle, partridge rock pullet, self blue silkie,barnvelder pullet,white crested blue polish,salmon faverolle pullet,ameraucana pullet,turken pullet,black crested white polish, d uucle assortment.

you have the same taste as i in poultry!!
when they say a d'uccle assortment, is there a chance of a mottled to be in there? if so i want want want one.
someone had asked me about favorelles, those are std, though ha?

the possibilities in the duucle assortment are blue millie, brown red, buff columbian, golden neck, millie, porcelain, self blue, and white. the favorelles are standard pullets. it does seem that we have the same taste in poultry.

Quote:
There's also a Tractor Supply in Southampton, MA which is not far off Interstate 91 (and not far from the Mass Pike too) ... about halfway between Northampton and Holyoke. That's a good central location for most of the western mass area.

Ok, so we are getting our first flock of day old Dominiques in April and my wife, in her infinite wisdom, got 11 pullets and one cockerel. I am wondering if anyone is hatching Dominiques in April, and if so, I would be interested in purchasing a cockerel for the April show in Milford.

Thanks.

Dave

Quote:
1 rooster to 11 hens is perfectly fine , from what I am told you only need 1 rooster to 25 hens.
but its your choice for more.

Quote:
There's also a Tractor Supply in Southampton, MA which is not far off Interstate 91 (and not far from the Mass Pike too) ... about halfway between Northampton and Holyoke. That's a good central location for most of the western mass area.

South Hampton souns like a great prospect.

now to get my GPS out and charged and figure out the easiest way for me to get there from this sideof the mountain.
Normally I would hit winchendon and then head toward althol. jump rt 2 and head in from there.

Maybe I can take a ride out there Sunday and scope out the store and hopefully talk to the manager.

I will call Nicole and get exact directions from her. I believe thats where she gets her rabbit grain.

Back
Top Bottom