1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

March Chicks Still Not Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamiPollo, Oct 14, 2011.

1. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I have looked over the sticky thread on this topic, and I see age but it is talking about old hens.

I have 5 hens that hatched in March. One of them has been laying since August. The other 4 have bright red combs, but have not been laying eggs. Only the one who lays squats. One of the araucanas has been hanging around me more and fussing, so I am hoping maybe she will start laying soon but so far nada.

I have been keeping them cooped up during the day due to their visiting behaviors, and still only getting one egg per day.

Is this normal?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If my math is correct we're talking about 7 month old birds correct? Whether a 7 month old bird should be laying or not depends on alot of things, as speckledhen pointed out in that sticky.

What breed(s)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by