• 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
LeMasterParty,

It's possible for them all to hatch, but it depends on a huge list of factors. If they've been shipped, how long between laying/setting etc...

I had one out of 21 hatch, because I messed up my humidity in my first try and then I had 20 of 24 hatch in my second try. My egg supplier reckons that 20/24 is about average for her eggs, but earlier in the season there's a lower fertility rate and slightly lower hatch rate.

the phrase is don't count your chickens before they hatch, for precisely this reason, there's a little bit of skill and luck combined to determine what your hatch rate is. If you're worried about hatching more than you have space for, you can hopefully list some of them for sale if need be and you still might have to allow for cockerel removal. There are varying guidelines on the right ratio here, but chances are you'll have a few to get rid of.

Last edited:
Saturday will be Day 6 for 60 eggs I will be doing my first candling that day and I have to say I am pretty nervous, For one it is a brand new bator and two I have never candled before always just waited to see what I go in the end. So Saturday will be a happy day or a do over. I am also worried about how cold it has been and the eggs maybe be ruin because of that, but we tried to keep them gathered frequently to keep them from getting to cold. O well we will see Saturday

Hello everyone.
My first March babies have arrived. One yesterday and two today. Mottled Orpingtons.
Hope remaining three in lock down make their introductions soon! The waiting! Argh. Lol.
If I hadda takin' pics before I put 'em to bed tonight, I woulda posted most all of 'em right here! Allz I know is that my dear friend sent me 5 Isbar X eggs and I only got three to hatch...two of my bueggers flew their earth 'coop' before end of day two...so I have been a surrogate 'chick' for a week now and I am tickled pink that she finally has some step-chicks to call her very own. My circadian rhythm appreciates it!

Ugh! The egg from the broody hen that I put into the incubator the other day pipped today. Unfortunately it was a mushy chick and died before hatching. Crossing my fingers that the other eggs don't have the same issue.

so a summary from my batch set on 2/17, had 55 eggs ;38 were from my own stock and 5 were shipped malay eggs and 12 shipped silkie/showgirl eggs. on sunday my incubator spiked to 111 and many viable ones died.this incubator has many issues and these are not on an auto turner. this has an after market fan installed and may be the cause of the heat spikes. i am going to swap this out with a smaller computer fan. 9 that were developing died because of the heat spike, including my only lavender silkie. so i pulled 3 blood rings, 30 clears and 9 early deaths. the 5 malays i will not write off yet despite their (and the 2 under a hen) lack of identifiable development, that leaves me to expect 55-47=8 eggs to hatch around 3/10.

on the batch i set 2/24, i set 50 eggs. 31 were of my stock, 12 were shipped porcelain duccle eggs and 7 were shipped malay eggs. candling these on day 9 I see; all 12 porcelain eggs were fertile but 1 formed a blood ring, the rest are good. the 7 malay eggs are hard to call since they are so dark,but all have detached air cells.of my stock 2 are blood rings and 8 are clear. i sprayed these on day 3 and again today ( 7 days later)

on the 10 eggs from my stock (collected in 30 degree weather) i set on 2/27 (that i pre-sprayed with ascorbic acid) i have; 7 out of 10 good, 3 clear. these were also sprayed again today.

i have shifted the oldest eggs to the better stable incubator. this includes the questionable malay eggs.

First chick of March! Tho' it almost made me late for work! Lol, I was busy taking time lapse pictures.

Back
Top Bottom