Major's Leap Day 2024 Hatch-A-Long

Ok, so the berry baskets do not keep the chicks segregated. I kinda figured as much after they arrived and I saw how shallow they are.
IMG_3259.jpeg

So far today I have 7 or 8 hatched and a lot more are pipped and rocking.

IMG_3275.jpeg

Congrats! how many chickens do you have laying? Sometimes if the eggs are over a week old they lose their fertility
Thanks!
I've got 14 laying in this flock. All of these eggs were collected over the course of 7 days from February 23rd to the 29th. The infertile eggs were equally spaced out in the incubator meaning there were probably only two or three pullets laying infertile eggs.

I'm collecting eggs now for my next hatch.

Thanks!
I've got 14 laying in this flock. All of these eggs were collected over the course of 7 days from February 23rd to the 29th. The infertile eggs were equally spaced out in the incubator meaning there were probably only two or three pullets laying infertile eggs.

I'm collecting eggs now for my next hatch.
Ok what do you do with all the chicks? do you sell them ? I cant think you keep 57 chickens

Ok what do you do with all the chicks? do you sell them ? I cant think you keep 57 chickens
Yes, I will sell them. I’ve already sold 21 of them. I do need to keep 14 or so females to set up a sex-linked breeding flock under a Gold male, so I will keep the other 36 of these until they are old enough to determine sex and then I will sell or process all the males.
I did get the NPIP testing done on my flock so that I can sell chicks and hatching eggs and ship them if needed.

Yes, I will sell them. I’ve already sold 21 of them. I do need to keep 14 or so females to set up a sex-linked breeding flock under a Gold male, so I will keep the other 36 of these until they are old enough to determine sex and then I will sell or process all the males.
I did get the NPIP testing done on my flock so that I can sell chicks and hatching eggs and ship them if needed.
Cool I have an animal auction that I bring the cockerels to I just sold 2 OEGB roosters that I got a pretty penny for

Back
Top Bottom