Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
Been collecting eggs for the next setting on Saturday, so technically I will have 2 hatches in the March HAL. This next batch will be around 16 WCBP and 8 mille fleur/black mottled d'uccles

I'm at day 21, no pips no peeps. I think I killed my hatch.
hit.gif
Air cells were too large at day 14 but there was movement in several. I increased humidity and aircells looked better by lockdown. My LG can't keep up with humidity changes. It's not to offend I use heat where I live but there was a few cold nights and when I woke up humidity was 16. Next time I will put a humidifier in the room. DH told me to invest in a better incubator. I'm so frustrated I can get 100% hatch on my eggs and I can't get a shipped egg to hatch. How long should I give these to hatch? I'm not too hopeful since there isn't even a peep.

What is a good small incubator? I can't afford a large cabinet model.

How many eggs do you want to incubate? 'Small' is relative. I have some Brinsea Mini ecos (7-10 eggs at a time) and love them! But started with one, got another 2 weeks later, and now a few weeks later want something biggers. The Brinsea Octos are popular, Incubator warehouse has their IncuView I've looked at, and I've seen a lot of people using Hovabators and liking them. Or you can try building your own. I've got a cooler and an IncuKit stacked in my kitchen for that big experiment.

Sorry about your hatch. I had 3 of my last 8 not hatch and I'm bummed. I'm sure it was something I did, but going to do eggtopsies today to see what I can learn from it.

My first attempt at hatching was in an LG still air. Not the easiest incubator in the world to use. My results were so bad that I waited until I could afford a Brinsea to keep hatching with. I would say, from what I have read, that the best bang for the buck is the Hovabator forced air. Not as pricey as the Brinsea and more stable than the LG
I was considering the Brinsea octagon 20 and had noticed the Janoel 8 48. I've read the Hovabator was better than LG but I would like to get something that is not styrofoam and stable humidity. Have you had any experience with the Janoel or do you think I should just get the Brinsea? Thanks for your advice!

How many eggs do you want to incubate? 'Small' is relative. I have some Brinsea Mini ecos (7-10 eggs at a time) and love them! But started with one, got another 2 weeks later, and now a few weeks later want something biggers. The Brinsea Octos are popular, Incubator warehouse has their IncuView I've looked at, and I've seen a lot of people using Hovabators and liking them. Or you can try building your own. I've got a cooler and an IncuKit stacked in my kitchen for that big experiment.

Sorry about your hatch. I had 3 of my last 8 not hatch and I'm bummed. I'm sure it was something I did, but going to do eggtopsies today to see what I can learn from it.
Thanks. I do want to do a homemade but that can wait til later. I have most of what I would need. I like the visibility with the incuview Do you know how well it holds humidity?Thanks for your advise!

I know it was me with this hatch the eggs arrived in good shape for shipped eggs. I was sure I would get at least a dozen babies. On the bright side this was the first eggs I could really see candling. All the others were too dark. So I did learn some things.

I have eggs in the Janoel 48 right now! I've been happy with everything about it, but like pretty much any other incubator you'll want to get your own thermometers, etc. rather than rely on what the machine says.

I have eggs in the Janoel 48 right now! I've been happy with everything about it, but like pretty much any other incubator you'll want to get your own thermometers, etc. rather than rely on what the machine says.
I Think you are right about thermometers and hydrometers. My hydrometer wasn't accurate and I don't think its consistant so its hard to determine how far off. I did check it before last hatch but I don't think it is reading the same this hatch. Thanks for your help!

How long should I wait on these eggs before trashing?

wE HAD LOTS OF MOVEMENT ON OUR DAY 14 CANDLE.
I think one of the pure free range jap. bantam eggs has quit on us, it may have been too old since I had just happened across the nest at the farm.
or it may be those are just difficult, I had lots of difficulties with them last summer.
so we left it in just in case, but I'm going to call it 19/20 going into next phase.

I was considering the Brinsea octagon 20 and had noticed the Janoel 8 48. I've read the Hovabator was better than LG but I would like to get something that is not styrofoam and stable humidity. Have you had any experience with the Janoel or do you think I should just get the Brinsea? Thanks for your advice!
If you can afford the Brinsea, then there is no question that's the route I would go. It's boringly simple. The Eco isn't terribly expensive, and I'm sure it's just as good as the others. I got the Advance, but no humidity pump. I ended up bumping the temperature on the display up to 100.0 after 2 delayed hatches, and that seems to have done the trick. All I have to do is add water every 3 or 4 days, and make minor adjustments to the air vent. I glance at it every day to check temps and humidity, and it's always spot on. I honestly believe that if I added the humidity pump I could set it, leave for 18 days, then come back for lockdown. It's an awesome little incubator. I will probably be buying another one soon just so that I'm not waiting 3 weeks between hatches

If you can afford the Brinsea, then there is no question that's the route I would go. It's boringly simple. The Eco isn't terribly expensive, and I'm sure it's just as good as the others. I got the Advance, but no humidity pump. I ended up bumping the temperature on the display up to 100.0 after 2 delayed hatches, and that seems to have done the trick. All I have to do is add water every 3 or 4 days, and make minor adjustments to the air vent. I glance at it every day to check temps and humidity, and it's always spot on. I honestly believe that if I added the humidity pump I could set it, leave for 18 days, then come back for lockdown. It's an awesome little incubator. I will probably be buying another one soon just so that I'm not waiting 3 weeks between hatches
I think I'll get the Eco and if that goes well I can upgrade maybe next year. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom