Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
I haven't posted much lately because I've been a little bummed. I tried my luck with 3 orders of shipped eggs for the first time. Let's just say that I got my butt handed to me! I usually get really good hatch rates on my own eggs, but I think I got a little over 15% on the shipped eggs. So depressing. Oh well..... I guess it's time to get over it. I've got 33 of my own on day 20 right now so I hope I can redeem myself.

Torch- once your eggs start hatching the humidity will naturally go up and your temp will go down. You probably won't have to adjust it at all.

It's only Day 15 for my eggs but I'm a little worried about their development. Only 1 looks like its got a chick developing in it (I could see a tiny foot). The other 3 still have movement but they aren't as full, for lack of a better word, as the 1 I can see the foot in & I can't make out chick-like features in them. Can eggs that were set at the same time develop at different rates?

It's only Day 15 for my eggs but I'm a little worried about their development. Only 1 looks like its got a chick developing in it (I could see a tiny foot). The other 3 still have movement but they aren't as full, for lack of a better word, as the 1 I can see the foot in & I can't make out chick-like features in them. Can eggs that were set at the same time develop at different rates?

Mine have been doing that. Some take off faster than others too. Chalked it up to either some getting colder than others before I got to them, different hens/crosses. Or just because.

SHELL SHORTS! <3 Oh, you have GOT to take a photo, I wanna see, hehe! As for mine, I still have a week to go, but I candled them tonight and I can't even see in there anymore, they're all full up! I can't wait until my little duckie fuzzlets hatch!
It was just a bottom part of the shell still stuck to his bottom. He got it off shortly after so no picture! Hopefully will be all dried out and fuzzed up by the time I get home from work. Maybe with company! 3 more eggs in there.

Mine have been doing that.  Some take off faster than others too.  Chalked it up to either some getting colder than others before I got to them, different hens/crosses.  Or just because.  

I think so, too. Mine looked different during candling, too. And there was a span of hatching for 2 days. Not all hatched, which is pretty normal.

I got 12 chicks, but I think the last one maybe has the Achilles tendon thing going on. I thought it was splayed leg, but the more I read I think it is the tendon thing. Not sure that I can save it.

They should all develop at about the same rate. Sometimes the eggs will look different when you candle them, but they should be progressing at about the same speed. Towards the end the chicks will cheep to each other which will get them all hatching at the same time. I've even stuck some eggs under a broody a day later than the others and all the chicks hatched at exactly the same time.

I haven't posted much lately because I've been a little bummed. I tried my luck with 3 orders of shipped eggs for the first time. Let's just say that I got my butt handed to me! I usually get really good hatch rates on my own eggs, but I think I got a little over 15% on the shipped eggs. So depressing. Oh well..... I guess it's time to get over it. I've got 33 of my own on day 20 right now so I hope I can redeem myself.

Torch- once your eggs start hatching the humidity will naturally go up and your temp will go down. You probably won't have to adjust it at all.
What part of Oregon are you in? I'm near Seattle, but would be interested in doing an egg trade of some kind if you'd like. I have not tried shipped eggs because I'm afraid they wouldn't hatch due to damage during transport. Mostly I have EEs, turkens and some olive eggers, but I should have a couple more breeding pens set up by summer.

Bumming. After a 13 hr overnight shift I still only have one chick in the bator and nothing happening with the other 3. They all had movement when I locked them down. Technically they're not due to hatch until right about now, or tonight but still.
sad.png
My hatches have been getting worse even though I was much better about locking down on time and not opening the bator! I want to get some eggs shipped soon so this downward trend is going to really depress me if it continues.

Duck eggs are really making me nervous. The air cells aren't big enough for day 17. I've been keeping humidity around 50%, and when I noticed the air cells weren't the right size, I downed it to 40-45%, but they're still too small. The one doesn't even seem like it's getting larger. I didn't mark them on day 1, but I marked them the other day (less than a week ago). One has gotten a bit larger, while the other is the same.

Back
Top Bottom