MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Yeah, they do, don't they?

Well, if there's no hygrometer in there, I'd guess that the one little chicklett is stuck with sticky membrane on her - I'd QUICKLY open it up, take her out and help her a little, you'll know right away if she's shrink-wrapped...

Good luck!!!
fl.gif

It is a tough call, I told myself that I would not help any of the chicks out but like I said earlier it is a tougher call now that I am faced with the situation. It has not done much since last night and there is another pip that has done nothing since last night. My hatch was rolling right along until this little snag. I am getting ready to take the hatched chicks out as they are all within 24-48 hours of being hatched at this point and there have been no new pips. The one with the big busted open pip is still alive, so in about another hour if it isn't zipping along I will have to make a decision. It doesn't help that her sisters like to lay on top of the egg. I am elated with 7 babies but I like round numbers. :)

Spore - I would go ahead and help it out, but thats just me... slowly and carefully, I had to help one of my from my Feb. hatch...poor lil thing couldnt move around to zip, it was squished in the egg, it was fine after I helped it and is doing great
smile.png

I would guess that shrink wrapped would be the correct description of the baby with the big pip. I helped open it up slowly (it had done alot on its own). I did not let it out totally, I put it back in to see if it would do the last push on its own. I feel bad but I guess I learned the value of a hygrometer. But how would one refill both water trays during lockdown??? Both are supposed to be filled. Making a mistake is okay, that is how I learn. Plus not I have 7 of the silliest little fluffy butts gulping down water and playing with toilet role tubes at the moment. Any advice on the last few eggs and the other egg that had a tiny pip but has not done anything since last night? Right now I am
barnie.gif
and
celebrate.gif
I can't even begin to imagine what it will be like if I have a child one day.
thumbsup.gif

D.gif
jumpy.gif

Quote:
What type of bator are you using? I have a Genesis. I threaded some aquarium tubing in through the slot where the turner cord went during the first 1-18 days. I put the inside end down through the grate on the bottom into the water tray. The outside end i shoved into a plastic turkey baster. You can take the bulb end off the baster to pour new warm water into the bator. And you can put the bulb back on to suck out cold water and add hot if your temp dips for any amount of time...like after opening the lid for an emergency...(which you should never do of course)
wink.png

Does your incubator have any ventilation holes in it? I have an LG, and there are two on top. I started with a bit of water in the wells (remember it is not important how deep the water is) and I put in two damp sponges under the ventilation holes. Then, as humidity went down, I used a turkey baster to squirt water onto the sponges until they were soaked. One hole was near the fan motor so I didn't feel comfortable squirting in through the hole on that sponge, I just lifted the lid as little as possible and squirted the water directly on that sponge.

I am using a Brinsea eco. It has a water hole which can fit one tube and fill one basin.

edited to add that the 8th chick that I did help out of the shrink wrap is very vocal and it fluffing as we speak. she took about half an hour to kick her way out of the rest of the shell and she appears to be healthy. The other egg with the small pip is not doing anything and the other 3 still have not pipped. I am going to let the 8th fluff tonight and tomorrow put it in the brooder. I'm not sure what to do with the last 4 eggs, I went from 5 one day to 2 yesterday to one that I helped today. It is starting to fill like the hatch is over. Are pips w/o a hatch pretty common?

Last edited:
day 17, 27 eggs set Feb 14th Am
2 Clear non Developing on day 10, Left until Day 13 for better/clearer candling.
2 removed tonight Stopped developing, 1 early quiter (just eye showing), one just quit in the last 24-48 hours: no movement, (the lower portion was clear, instead of dark) .
Humidity upped to 40% Temp 99.0-100.0
Lockdown will begin morning of the 5th. Hatch Date should be the 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom