MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Try these sites and the links. Very good info. Good luck with your baby!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

[http://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/leg-braces][/url]

[http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html][/url]

So one of my babies born this morning has a leg that's not working right...it's twisting backwards when he tries to walk . Any ideas? I'll try to get pictures on later.

Ebear82, this may also be a slipped tendon also known as perosis. We had a little one with this in our last hatch at the end of Feb. If this is what your's has, it occurs around the hock or the middle of the leg, where the tendon can't hold the bottom of the leg correctly. We researched this online and we held the leg straight as it should be and wrapped it in vet tape all week and he is doing much better. We will probably take the wrap off tomorrow and see how he does.

HTH!

Tamara​

Here are my two new chicks in the brooder. I made the brooder out of a plastic storage tub I bought from WalMart for 4 bucks. Sorry it's not the best pic...I was in the middle of making temp. adjustments.

Quote:

I usually leave the hatched chicks in the bator for 12 to 24 hrs., as they seem to get stronger in there than if moved to the brooder right away. When newborn chicks are shipped from hatcheries they go for 3 days without eating or drinking & survive on their absorbed egg yoke from the egg. My hatches are smaller than 20 so it's a tough call from my side about moving them, do what feels right to you. The panting may either be from the high temps (just hatched chicks need to be at 95 degrees F. Or maybe it's the humidity in the bator, that is needed for the other eggs to hatch. We all do our best not to open the incubator, to not mess up the eggs left to hatch, but sometimes it needs to be done to get a group out that has been in too long. Just be careful & quick if you need to open; the main risk is humidity & lengthy temp drops. Good luck! Congrats on you hatches!

Quote:
Maybe use the ole' "crumpled up washcloth" trick to temporarly keep it's body upright & support the legs a little. I just put a crumpled up washcloth in the corner & put the chick into one of the hollows. They seem more content, cozy & comfortable this way & can get some of the well needed sleep that they need. If the other chicks are tromping on it then you could put a smaller container within the brooder with the crumpled washcloth & give it some undisturbed privacy. Be sure that it gets to the water & feed when needed though. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
mstricer: Go Favs, go!!!

When the Faverolles hatch, they are all blondies with a bit of dark color near the wing tips. Check out the site below & scroll down to the end for the chick color sexing. If you haven't already, take a look at a thread the 'hcammack' has going on all things Favs called 'Faverolles Thread' by typing that in the Search box.
http://feathersite.com/Poultry/CGD/Favs/BRKFaverolles.html

Madcap621: Yes, you are the 1st to mention next month's hatch-a-long. I will get that started next week, end of 3rd week & will post a notice of it here. It'll be another fun month with you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom