MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, out of my 34 eggs, 21 hatched and I just sold them all...that was the plan, but it's still kind of sad
sad.png
. Anyway, I'm sticking a new batch in the incubator tonight for someone else...wish me luck!

Well ebear82, the bright side of that is that you can keep hatching more and more as long as they will sell...so you can have cute little fuzzies every month.
smile.png

I now have 17 turkeys in the incubator. Six are due March 22, and the rest due in April. And more waiting in line for when there is room. I'm going to be swimming in turkeys if this hatch goes well! Fortunately they are not all for me! And my husband announced this week that he wants to get some duck eggs to hatch now, and maybe a couple dozen more EE eggs (There's already 35 chicks in the bathroom!)...I think the disease is catching.
lol.png
He's way more excited now about building me an incubator than he was two months ago--he was actually pricing used ones online last night thinking maybe we'd just buy one! He's really getting into the farming thing with me now, which makes me happy--I even got permission for more goats!

My ducks are here.. 5 of 5 and they are perfect. They were very tightly shrink wrapped tho and I had to get them all out. I could barely get them free. I have to admit I was scared to death I was going to kill them. They all bled but I had the corn starch ready and it clotted it right up. I didn't think they would make it thru the night Friday night. They just layed with their necks twisted around and their legs in odd positions. Their legs were over their bills and they couldnt peck the shell. They pipped Thursday and they dried out so Friday night I could see they were weakening. Sat morning they were still pretty weak and just not right looking. By Sat afternoon, I knew they were going to be fine, and I had to get them out of the bator. They would try to do that duck stretch thing and flap their wings and were hitting their heads on the element and getting burned. Got them into a brooder, showed them the water and had to take it away after a couple of minutes. Gave it to them about once an hour for a few minutes. Before I went to bed they had quit pigging out on it so I left it in all night. Today, they are eating and drinking and SLEEPING. they do that funny cute thing where they just collapse and go to sleep. Just not real sure what to think tho. I expected yellow babies. All three of my females are pekin and the male is Welsh Harlequin. I know pekins are yellow as babies and I thought the harlequins were too. They are a mottled yellow and various shade of black except for one... it is almost all black except the yellow patch on its chest, it also has black legs and orange feet except for one black toe. Also... one of them looks like a punk rocker. It has a yellow head, but a streak of LONG down right down the center that is black. It looks just like a mohawk hair cut. so funny. Going to attach a picture.. this is from Sat afternoon. about 24 hours old.

this is where they fell over in deep sleep..
44269_dsc05633.jpg

and this is my niece Emma with the babies. The one she is holding fell asleep in her hands...lol
44269_dsc05654.jpg

Last edited:
I also have been gathering goose eggs and put 19 in the bator on Saturday evening. Today, on of my geese went broody and she only had the one egg, so I was able to take 5 out of the bator and put them under her. They are only about 12 hours ahead of the one she was sitting on So she has 6 to set on and I have 14 in the bator.. I hope they hatch..

Candled on day 7 .
7 Wheaton Marans movement 4 CM movement and the only EE had movement.
#8 WM egg had a crack on top when I got it. So I waxed it and it looked to have veining. Not sure on that one.
idunno.gif
Good thing is it was a extra. Looks like it will be a great hatch if all goes as well with the next 2 wks.

Last edited:
I candled Sat. night (day 7)... took out 5 unfertilized eggs and theres about 9 I cant tell about yet, so I left them in and the rest are growing great... 2 more weeks
smile.png

I am running a little late posting but I put 3 bators a total of 126 on March 8th so lets hope this hatch turns out as good as my february hatch.
big_smile.png
I just hope I can repeat the hatch rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom