MARCH HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jen4.
that last picture looks like he's about to tell you off!
smile.png

Jen4: Those are a great group of chicks, from your "backyard" too. Still loving the rainbow quilt & chick pic. I agree with monicas & was thinking it looked a little smug. I don't think it appreciates the nickname "lil chubby one." By the way...... is that the same chick guarding the feed plate?

Quote:
thank you
smile.png
yes, i forgot to add that we stopped turning them at day 18. we now have 2 littles
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
that are all the way out. we left for church then came back as we forgot something and saw one had pipped and when we came home at 1 p.m. its shell had zipped and it was starting to come out of the shell. the kids were all there for that. then it had its cord attached which is drying off but has a really bulby lump where it was attached. but its peeping and trying to get about too!

so to make sure we don't do anything wrong, the longest they should go in the incubator after they are hatched is 48 hours/2 days or 72 hours/3 days? if we wanted to try to save the rest of the eggs until tuesday night since they are marans should be try going into the bath w/lots of steam and replacing the water in the incubator w/hot steamy water after we take the chicks out? (thinking on trying to save the others just in case one or two more might be stubborn and taking longer).

That is so great that you were there in time for your kids to watch one hatch, how fun. I'm guessing by now that the last chick with attached cord has dryed & come off. Sometimes, if the humidity is too high then it takes longer to dry. It will be a judgement call for you on how long to leave the chicks while waiting for the other eggs, maybe if they look ok that will help you decide. It seems that many people when having to wait, are most concerned about removing the chicks when any eggs are pipped or zipping, as they would be more exposed to cold & drying out. If you do open to remove the chicks before pips or zips come, then make it quick & make sure your humidity goes back up to your setting. Be careful with hot & steamy water as it may be unstable & shoot the temp & humidity too high. Best wishes on the remaining marans eggs, let us know. Enjoy your new chickies!

omg... OMG... OMG!!!

EVERYTHING HAS GONE SO BADLY WRONG!!!!

left my window open last night... for ventilation...

wake up this morning...

TEMP WAS 35.4!!

NO ALARM WENT OFF!!

now... its slowly slowly going back up to 37.3...

I am so worried for my baby ducklings!!

PandoraTaylor - Thanks

monicas wrote:
that last picture looks like he's about to tell you off

Thanks... It does, doesnt it, lol

Save the favs wrote:
Those are a great group of chicks, from your "backyard" too. Still loving the rainbow quilt & chick pic. I agree with monicas & was thinking it looked a little smug. I don't think it appreciates the nickname "lil chubby one." By the way...... is that the same chick guarding the feed plate?

Thanks again... the lil chubby one is soooo cute, its feathers seem different from the others more longer and fluffier. Yes thats the chick gaurding the feed plate, lol! Thats funny, I didnt even notice it.​

Quote:
Hang in there, it looks like you've only had 2 degrees difference; will have to look up conversion as those #'x look like celsius. I am ever amazed at what the egg can survive. So, think positive thoughts, relax & be patient. Incubation is not for the light hearted, perservere. Keep us posted, my fingers are crossed for you.

thank you... was just worried that it had been like that all night... first time hatch jitters...

OK, today is day 20. I have 10 out of the 35 that are pipped! I love to hear them chirping and working at that first hole in the shell.

So, my question is, two of them had pipped on the morning of day 19. Is that normal or am I cross-eyed when counting the days off on my calendar??

Michael

Quote:
PIPS! That's great Michael!

I don't recall when your incubator was set up, so don't know the count. We all plan with the guidelines as we see them, but "Mother Nature" is really in charge. I haven't had any pips on Day 19 yet, but there are so many factors besides counting the days that can excellerate hatch. Also, I've had hatches start & with the last egg hatching 24 hrs later. Have fun watching them zip next. Look forward to your next report!

Just in case you hadn't seen this before (it depends on what time of day you set also):
*When is day 1 (see #69 & #70) http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res32-qa.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom