Marecks Vaccine

JacinLarkwell

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2020
South-Eastern Montana
I know you can chose from most hatcheries to have your chicks vaccinated before they're shipped to you. But what about chicks that you hatch on your own? Are you able to buy and administer the vaccine youraelf? Or does it have to be done by a vet?

Also what age? Can you vaccinate adults and cockrels/pullets? Or just chicks or even just day olds?

Are you able to buy and administer the vaccine yourself?

I don't do that but some people do. Of course you have to carefully follow instructions.

Also what age? Can you vaccinate adults and cockrels/pullets? Or just chicks or even just day olds?

You can vaccinate any chicken of any age but it probably won't do any good once they are passed day-olds. But it will not harm them if they are older. The vaccine needs two or three weeks to work. If they are exposed to Marek's during that time the vaccine could easily not work. So if you get vaccinated chicks in the mail or hatch your own in an incubator and vaccinate them you need to keep them away from your flock for a few weeks. If a broody hen hatches the eggs it's too late to vaccinate. If Marek's is in your flock they will have been exposed before you can even vaccinate them.

Okay. Thanks for the answers. Is it something in the ground or that goes through the egg? Like if I bought eggs from someone who had an infected flock, would those be too late to vaccinate as well? (I haven't that I'm aware of, just using an example)

Back
Top Bottom