Marek’s and Healthy Appetite

WaddleWoman

Hatching
Oct 19, 2020
Hello Fellow Chicken Lovers,

Twyla, my 4 month old scissor beak chicken, is possibly exhibiting signs of Marek’s Disease.
A few days ago, I had noticed she was limping a bit. I assumed one of us may have accidentally stepped on her foot, since she enthusiastically comes running out to us every time we bring out her soft food. Sometimes she gets under foot.
I brought her to the vet when she didn’t seem better the next day. The doctor took
x-rays proving she had no breaks. He said she could have a soft tissue injury or some sort if virus (honestly, I don’t think this doctor had a lot of experience with chickens). He sent her home with Meloxidyl Oral.
It’s been 2 days and she is not improving leg wise. She using her left foot only to balance, her left toes are bunched together in front of her and are not curled.
Since she has scissor beak/cross beak, I suppose could also be malnourished. This morning I gave her some Vitamin B12, hoping that would help.
Her appetite is good. She eats all day. Her poops are normal. She is alert and responsive.
Twyla is a sweet little bird. Prior to this she was my friendliest, fastest little Roadrunner type who cracks the whole family up—chasing us down.
I don’t want to euthanize her too soon, and very much hope she can recover. Any suggestions you can provide would be very helpful.

Thank you Dottie. If it helps, Here are some some images.
B98B7CD1-8A45-4912-B082-6DFED53A5D74.jpeg
CCDB6B15-D50B-465E-9CD8-278818689752.jpeg

Continue with the B-vitamins. They will strengthen her legs.

Many, many other things can cause lameness, not just Marek's. The most obvious is an injury. Sometimes it's as insignificant as a broken to nail or a bruise on the webbing between the toes or a splinter, barely visible sticking out of the toe at the nail. Once I found a pine cone scale wedged in the toe of a rooster that was limping.

Working up to more serious causes, mold, petroleum distillates, insecticide, and rat poison can cause similar symptoms.

What a precious little bird! I'm in love!

4 month old scissor beak chicken, is possibly exhibiting signs of Marek’s Disease.
The doctor took
x-rays proving she had no breaks. He said she could have a soft tissue injury or some sort if virus
She using her left foot only to balance, her left toes are bunched together in front of her and are not curled.
Since she has scissor beak/cross beak, I suppose could also be malnourished. This morning I gave her some Vitamin B12,
Is the foot bruised or dirty?

She may have other issues presenting since she's scissor beaked. Looks like the leg is twisting a little.
B12 is Cobalamin what you are wanting is B2 Riboflavin which helps support leg function. Get some B-Complex from WalMart or CVS and give her 1/4 tablet a day.

See that she's eating well - offer her wet chick starter in a deep dish.

Your vet may be right and that the cause of her leg problems is a virus like Marek's. Do what you can and see how it goes.

Continue with the B-vitamins. They will strengthen her legs.

Many, many other things can cause lameness, not just Marek's. The most obvious is an injury. Sometimes it's as insignificant as a broken to nail or a bruise on the webbing between the toes or a splinter, barely visible sticking out of the toe at the nail. Once I found a pine cone scale wedged in the toe of a rooster that was limping.

Working up to more serious causes, mold, petroleum distillates, insecticide, and rat poison can cause similar symptoms.

What a precious little bird! I'm in love!
Is the foot bruised or dirty?

She may have other issues presenting since she's scissor beaked. Looks like the leg is twisting a little.
B12 is Cobalamin what you are wanting is B2 Riboflavin which helps support leg function. Get some B-Complex from WalMart or CVS and give her 1/4 tablet a day.

See that she's eating well - offer her wet chick starter in a deep dish.

Your vet may be right and that the cause of her leg problems is a virus like Marek's. Do what you can and see how it goes.

Thank you. I headed off to Walgreens to pick up some Vitamin B-Complex right after I read your post.

I have been using a deep bowl and filling it often to the level she can get to.

I pray for she has some improvement over night. Thank you again for reaching out to me. 🤗

Back
Top Bottom