Marek’s Disease Help

ZeiaZeia

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2022
I’m pretty certain my juveniles (2-4 months old) have Marek’s disease. I’m searching the forum and the internet for information on what to do. Not how to diagnose it but what do you do if your flock begins to die? Do I do anything ? Add vitamins to the water? Antibiotics to the water? Or do I just let it run it’s course and see who survives in the after math?

Backstory:

I have a vaccinated adult flock of barred rocks. I moved my barred rocks into a new coop. I started my unvaccinated juveniles in their old coop who I hatched out of eggs they were not from a hatchery which was my biggest mistake (obviously) but I didn’t know at the time. I’m sure my adults were shedding Marek’s into their coop but they are immune due to vaccination as day olds at the hatchery. So I have about 40 juveniles and I’m losing one a day I’ve lost 5 so far. Same story they go anorexic, no food in crop, diarrhea, then the wings start to droop, then they fall over paralyzed, and eventually die. Is there any thread with advice? I feel like this is the most well known disease and I should be finding out more about it as I research but there’s not much.

Thank you for your help.

It does sound like Mareks. When a chicken get's Mareks there isn't really a cure and they rarely survive. If they do survive they can't live with other chickens because they will always be carries of the virus. It is HIGHLY contagious and is spread through the chickens breathing in dust/dander that is infected.

Back
Top Bottom