Marek’s positive flock - what to do with the bedding?

And my thinking for not burning it, is every time one of your chickens flaps its wings, lots of dander flies off anyway.
Unless you want to cull are your chickens, (which I don't think is at all necessarily) you can only do the best you can.
If you handle it carefully and keep it moist, I don't think much at all will get in the air, and once its composted even if the virus is still in it, (which it probably will be) it won't go anywhere.
Apart from where you put it, of cause, so bear in mind that where ever you put the compost, the virus will go too; so maybe keep it in the same area as the chickens.
At least there isn't any other chickens just over the fence, so hopefully you can keep it contained
We made a plan now, to dig a trench, cart the bedding there with a cover on, then one person pours the bedding in while the other sprays it to keep the dust down. Then cover with soil.
Thanks again for your input!

Last edited:
I have had Mareks in my yard for many years. Once you have it, it will always be there. All the members of your flock are now carriers and it does not matter what you do with the poop and bedding materials, there is no way you can really change the conditions in your yard. The virus is everywhere.
Some of your chickens will survive and will live very good lives (I have hens that are 9 years old and are perfectly healthy).
I have learned to do things differently like for example, I only get vaccinated chicks and do a three week strict quarantine with the hopes that they might not get a very bad infection and I do not let any broody brood chicks since she can pass the virus to the babies right away. I keep a closed flock.
Also I do my best to keep them as stress free as possible, keep them healthy with good quality feed , clean water, clean coops, dust baths, etc.
I have lost some hens to the virus and it hurts me every time that happens, however I have many that are very healthy and happy and it is the majority. There are some chicken keepers that lose many of the members of their flock but thankfully the strain of virus I have in my yard apparently is not very virulent.
Don't be discouraged because your flock has the virus, there is still a good life for them.

I have had Mareks in my yard for many years. Once you have it, it will always be there. All the members of your flock are now carriers and it does not matter what you do with the poop and bedding materials, there is no way you can really change the conditions in your yard. The virus is everywhere.
Some of your chickens will survive and will live very good lives (I have hens that are 9 years old and are perfectly healthy).
I have learned to do things differently like for example, I only get vaccinated chicks and do a three week strict quarantine with the hopes that they might not get a very bad infection and I do not let any broody brood chicks since she can pass the virus to the babies right away. I keep a closed flock.
Also I do my best to keep them as stress free as possible, keep them healthy with good quality feed , clean water, clean coops, dust baths, etc.
I have lost some hens to the virus and it hurts me every time that happens, however I have many that are very healthy and happy and it is the majority. There are some chicken keepers that lose many of the members of their flock but thankfully the strain of virus I have in my yard apparently is not very virulent.
Don't be discouraged because your flock has the virus, there is still a good life for them.
Thank you so much for sharing. 🙏
Very much appreciated. ♥️

Back
Top Bottom