Marek' Disease

She looks like one of my silkies that had a vitamin E deficiency. Her neck would twist and contourt until she was looking upside down all the time. giving vitamin e capsales(put a hole in it and let it drop in the mouth) and ploy vi sol over a period of time got her over it, although she still will do it from time to time when excited.
big_smile.png

Well, things are going well. She is back to eating and drinking on her own. She is still doing the neck twisting thing but not so much. Thanks for all the help. I still have her separated. When do you think I should put her back in with the rest?

Mareks usually starts in the leg, but it can start in the neck or wing also. The marek's that effects the eyes is a different form of marek's. The type that can be vaccinated for is the paralysis type. Old timers used to call it Range Paralysis. If the bird does have Marek's, put it in a small cage with food and water within easy reach. I have a Marek's survivor. After weeks of intensive care, she went into remission. She now walks with a limp. Keep in mind that many birds are not that fortunate.

Well, I ended up putting her down. My friend is a vet and she said that the prognosis isn't good. She wasn't doing well and having difficulty breathing. And to me it looked like she was suffering! Thanks for all the posts!!!

Hi-
I've got a sick chick with paralysis and was worried it was Marek's...but talked to an avian vet who said true Marek's disease is "exceedingly rare". That might be true only for this area (central Va). I'm really sorry about your chicken, but have you considered having an autopsy done? If it was a confirmed case of Marek's, you might consider vaccinating the rest of your flock or just keep it in mind if you introduce new birds....of course I have no clue what a clinic charges for autopsy or how much it might be. I'm totally new to this so it's all just based on reading and talking to the vet.
Sorry again about having to put her down.
-Cat

Back
Top Bottom