Mareks?? Cocci?? Neurological issue??

Quote:
I isolated her. Only been a few days and just really trying to figure out what it is exactly. The first day was pretty bad but seems like the next she was getting around better. Her symptoms are not a-typical of any particular thing. Pretty much drunkenly walking.loss of balance, high stepping..gets tired, lays down. No tumors, no cloudy eyes. no panting,etc. Seems to have a good appetite. Could drink more water though. Poop not runny or bloody. Some told me to give her the poly vi sol today because it could possibly be nutritional. All my birds were vaccinated from the hatchery for marek's and doesnt seem likely its cocci. So I have no idea. I let her free range with the others last night but noticed they were picking on her so back to isolation. Ill try the electrolytes and vitamins today and cross my fingers. Really hate to lose her.

Definitely very similar to what I'm going through. I'm heading out there now to give her some polyvisol and also read that sometimes it can be a Vitamin E deficieny? I have some gel tabs on hand and will try that, too. I don't want to lose mine either, seems like just yesterday she was a little fluffy butt of a chick
sad.png
I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of ours, best of luck!

Yess same person also told me to give vitamin E. Said this could be an early onset of Wry Neck....

Somewhere on this forum, I read that the highstepping is a dead give away that it is coccidia...

Hope this helps and your bird gets better.

Quote:
Really? SOmeone said it sounded like it could be cocci....but then again, someone has said it sounded like mareks and wry neck aswell. I might have to take a video and post to give you all a better idea of what Im looking at. And Perhaps I shall treat for both....

With cocci you usually see the birds hunched up, necks tucked in, feathers fluffed and wings drooping. Earlier signs are going off food and standing around a lot. Blood in the droppings is obvious with some types of cocci (e.g. cecal) but may be absent otherwise.

I feel the other possibilities are a little more likely. Is it hot where you area? Sometimes heatstroke can have delayed effects. I would also wonder whether she's hurt herself somehow, perhaps up near the hip, though this is very much a long shot.

It seems you're doing all you can. Sorry I can't help. Sometimes it's just a matter of wait, hope and see, meanwhile giving the best of care. If it is nutritional it won't clear up in a couple of days but you should be seeing improvements within a week.

Best of luck,
Erica

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and replies. I know I've pretty much ruled out cocci simply for the fact that this bird was never standing around hunched up or off it's feed or mood in any way. In fact, she's still not off her feed! This little girl is a fighter! I've administered the polyvisol and the Vitamin E and now she is chowing down on her grower in her "hospital bed." I have to leave for a bit, (to go get my horse x-rays to boot), and we will see how she's doing when I get back!

P.S. Definitely not heatstroke in our area, we've barely even had a summer this year
sad.png

Oobhakeb~I'm sending healing thoughts and prayers for your girl
hugs.gif

Last edited:
mareks can certaintly be treated. it will never be cure but will be dormant and your birds will be carriers of that is it. i have seen birds seeming to have the mereks flopy wings like to balance them selves and progressivly getting to less mobile and laying down come back totally with twice daily treatment of a general antibiotic like terymicine at tsc, also coupled with apple cider vinegar and some nutridrench. the bird that was severly affected had been vaccinated as a chick. the bird is now just fine and thriving. also, st johns wort pills can be broken and disolved in water and can help relieve pain and discomfort and help with increased mobility.

this is an old post i read on the mareks https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=290501

It sounds like it could be heat stress, maybe a good peck on the head, nerve problems, or marek's. You may have to wait and see if it gets worse. If its marek's, no amount of antibiotics or ACV are going to change anything if its marek's

I've made the difficult decision to bring her to WSU's aviary lab to have her humanely euthanized and tested. I took her outside last night for some fresh air and when I put her down on the grass she tried to stand up and her left leg kept coming up to her back and she kept stepping on her wing. It was not a pretty sight. I brought her back in and gave her some more vit's and she ate and drank greedily. She took a turn for the worst and now has very little interest in eating or drinking and is just laying on her side resting. I can't let her suffer anymore, it's breaking my heart.

Knock on wood my other kids seem to be fine. I will be watching them VERY closely. I will keep you all updated as to what the lab results show and I know I'm going to beat myself up if it is something that was treatable. I just don't feel that it is and the more I learn about Marek's the more I feel it's what she has.

I'm almost starting to feel like I should have just kept buying eggs from the local farmer, I'm getting very discouraged.

Back
Top Bottom