Marek's disease and humans

So yes Marek's disease has been found in humans...I guess my next question is what does it do to humans?

"Vertical transmission of MDV DNA has already been hypothesized for quail, where a portion of the MDV genome has been identified in the germline (Shih et al., 1989 R33 ). Knowing that in humans MDV DNA detection does not correlate with exposure to poultry and as exposure of the whole population to poultry is unlikely, chromosomal transmission of MDV-integrated DNA is a reasonable hypothesis.

Regardless of the status of MDV DNA in humans, our results demonstrate that MDV is or was able to cross the species barrier."

I may be splitting hairs here, but word choice is important. Marek's disease IMO indicates a disease condition with clinical signs and symptoms. The VIRUS has been found in humans, but not the disease. Detection of a virus or bacteria merely indicates that it exists in the body, not that a state of disease is present. Given the huge number of bacteria and virus, as well as other organisms that we share our body space with, it's no doubt that MDV would be detected. I've no doubt that many other disease organisms can be found in a random sampling of human serum/tissue. Many of which would cause the germophobe to go running for the hand sanitizer, if not begging for a round of antibiotics!!!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/body’s-bacteria-don’t-outnumber-human-cells-so-much-after-all

A “standard man” weighing 70 kilograms has roughly the same number of bacteria and human cells in his body, researchers report online January 6 at bioRxiv.org.

I may be splitting hairs here, but word choice is important. Marek's disease IMO indicates a disease condition with clinical signs and symptoms. The VIRUS has been found in humans, but not the disease. Detection of a virus or bacteria merely indicates that it exists in the body, not that a state of disease is present. Given the huge number of bacteria and virus, as well as other organisms that we share our body space with, it's no doubt that MDV would be detected. I've no doubt that many other disease organisms can be found in a random sampling of human serum/tissue. Many of which would cause the germophobe to go running for the hand sanitizer, if not begging for a round of antibiotics!!!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/body’s-bacteria-don’t-outnumber-human-cells-so-much-after-all

A “standard man” weighing 70 kilograms has roughly the same number of bacteria and human cells in his body, researchers report online January 6 at bioRxiv.org.
Thanks.
So the Marek's disease virus has been found in humans....seems like it can be dangerous but it hasn't been studied enough yet...right?

My point is...well one of them is...
For all the people that have this confirmed disease in their flock...should they be taking extra precautions?
I get that the people tested where from all walks of like...the humans that did have the Marek's disease virus in them, but it only makes sense that if it has been confirmed in someone's flock that they could potentially be exposed to it more?

Should they not be opening up all their future dead birds?

I am reading this yet again. I keep seeing things that I didn't grasp the other times.

http://jgv.microbiologyresearch.org/content/journal/jgv/10.1099/0022-1317-82-1-233#tab2

MDV causes T-cell lymphomas in chickens. It is distributed worldwide and acute explosive outbreaks caused by very virulent forms of the virus are frequently reported despite the availability of vaccines. The nononcogenic MDV strains used as a vaccine prevent tumour growth but do not prevent the replication of either vaccine or virulent strains and infectious virus particles survive at room temperature for several months (Calnek & Witter, 1991 R5 ).

I would consider this: Who is paying for this study?

I would file it in the "useless information" folder.

A recent thread was started here, and these threads continue to surface multiple times/year regarding CDC or some other agency's dire warnings to the public regarding the huge risk of Salmonella poisoning to humans from back yard flocks. Really? the most recent study reported around 212 incidents of human infection by salmonella supposedly caused by back yard flocks.

During that same time period, there were more than 2 MILLION confirmed cases of salmonella in the US. I find it interesting that the study citing the back yard flock caused infections did not reference the many more cases of salmonella caused by other sources. No doubt many of those cases can be linked to poultry, and even produce products bought at the local grocer.

So, again, my question is this: Who's paying for these studies, and what is the agenda behind them??? Call me a cynic. The older I get, the more cynical I become.

Salmonella, Avian Influenza, now Marek's disease. Lots of head lines and studies pointing a finger at the dire risks to the keeper of back yard flocks. Why??? Look at the stats, then look at the bigger picture.

Sure, it makes sense to be cautious. It makes sense to wash your hands. It makes sense to do what you can to ensure the health of your flock. (build a healthy immune system instead of tearing the immune system down with un-necessary medications, over crowding, and introducing other stressors into the flock.) Cull the weakest individuals who are going to be the disease vectors. In a population of wild animals, this happens naturally. As flock keepers, it is wise to know that 10% of the population will carry 90% of the parasite or disease load. Remove those animals, and you are removing the greatest threat to the health of the remaining flock.

I'll not worry about Marek's disease until there is proven to be a significant threat to human health ie: clinical signs and symptoms of MD infection to humans, caused by direct exposure to MD infected poultry.

I would consider this: Who is paying for this study?

I would file it in the "useless information" folder.

A recent thread was started here, and these threads continue to surface multiple times/year regarding CDC or some other agency's dire warnings to the public regarding the huge risk of Salmonella poisoning to humans from back yard flocks. Really? the most recent study reported around 212 incidents of human infection by salmonella supposedly caused by back yard flocks.

During that same time period, there were more than 2 MILLION confirmed cases of salmonella in the US. I find it interesting that the study citing the back yard flock caused infections did not reference the many more cases of salmonella caused by other sources. No doubt many of those cases can be linked to poultry, and even produce products bought at the local grocer.

So, again, my question is this: Who's paying for these studies, and what is the agenda behind them??? Call me a cynic. The older I get, the more cynical I become.

Salmonella, Avian Influenza, now Marek's disease. Lots of head lines and studies pointing a finger at the dire risks to the keeper of back yard flocks. Why??? Look at the stats, then look at the bigger picture.

Sure, it makes sense to be cautious. It makes sense to wash your hands. It makes sense to do what you can to ensure the health of your flock. (build a healthy immune system instead of tearing the immune system down with un-necessary medications, over crowding, and introducing other stressors into the flock.) Cull the weakest individuals who are going to be the disease vectors. In a population of wild animals, this happens naturally. As flock keepers, it is wise to know that 10% of the population will carry 90% of the parasite or disease load. Remove those animals, and you are removing the greatest threat to the health of the remaining flock.

I'll not worry about Marek's disease until there is proven to be a significant threat to human health ie: clinical signs and symptoms of MD infection to humans, caused by direct exposure to MD infected poultry.
I agree with everything you stated here.
I don't worry once ounce about salmonella or Marek's...we choose to wash our hands.
I can tell you that after reading these articles that I will not keep a confirmed Marek's carrying disease virus bird on my property. :eek:

I am just thing to find out IF the chickens herpes virus is similar to the human one and IF humans can get it and IF they can get it what does it do in humans.

Very good discussion, and nothing to loose sleep over, IMO. If you want to worry about diseases that cross between species, there are some that are MUCH scarier!!!
Influenza, shared by primates, chickens, and pigs, and equines.
Tuberculosis.
Feline distemper, that jumped to canines, causing canine parvovirus.
Of course rabies!
Ebola, source unknown...
And as far as lymphoma in humans here, and canines, data is showing increased risk in individuals who use 2,4 D products to eliminate broadleafed weed in lawns.
Mary

Very good discussion, and nothing to loose sleep over, IMO. If you want to worry about diseases that cross between species, there are some that are MUCH scarier!!!
Influenza, shared by primates, chickens, and pigs, and equines.
Tuberculosis.
Feline distemper, that jumped to canines, causing canine parvovirus.
Of course rabies!
Ebola, source unknown...
And as far as lymphoma in humans here, and canines, data is showing increased risk in individuals who use 2,4 D products to eliminate broadleafed weed in lawns.
Mary
I am not worried...at all...I am just wanting to learn something new to me.

Back
Top Bottom