Marek's Disease

Ryeyard

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2019
It looks like I've imported Marek's disease into my small flock, having recently brought in half a dozen youngsters from a reputable dealer. One died at 7 weeks with the associated paralysis and another has been displaying similar symptoms at 25 weeks. She was really bad for a few days but has improved greatly over the week and is doing her best to follow the others around as they are all free range. She's still eating and drinking well. Does anyone have experience of this and can the birds ever fully recover?

I don't have any but I wanted to wish you well that someone who does will come along soon and that your laddies will be alright

It looks like I've imported Marek's disease into my small flock, having recently brought in half a dozen youngsters from a reputable dealer. One died at 7 weeks with the associated paralysis and another has been displaying similar symptoms at 25 weeks. She was really bad for a few days but has improved greatly over the week and is doing her best to follow the others around as they are all free range. She's still eating and drinking well. Does anyone have experience of this and can the birds ever fully recover?
Sorry to hear you are having problems.
It's a good idea to get testing to make sure what you are dealing with is Marek's.
You can look up your state lab HERE
Some folks get testing through a private lab like THIS and THIS

Birds can "recover" become asymptomatic, but may relapse - hard to know, Marek's disease from what I understand is frustrating to deal with.
Here's a good read for you https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

That Marek's website is very helpful, thank you. I'll just leave my hens to their own devices and hope that the bird with symptoms recovers and that the rest have good immune systems.

That Marek's website is very helpful, thank you. I'll just leave my hens to their own devices and hope that the bird with symptoms recovers and that the rest have good immune systems.
You may want to check her daily to ensure her crop has food/water before she goes to roost - that she's been eating.
Check her frequently for lice/mites as well.

Just monitor her - she may need extra help or supportive care from you to make it through.

Cheers Wyorp. A week ago I didn't think she'd last the day but now, although she's still partially paralysed down one side, she's talking away, keeping up with the others and eating and drinking as well as ever. What superb little animals, with a tremendous will to live. She obviously loves it here and doesn't want to give up just yet.

Back
Top Bottom