Mareks Disease

eparr12

Hatching
Dec 20, 2020
I have confirmed Mareks Disease (unsure of strain, but confirmed by the laboratory) and I am wondering what the next step forward will be.
My veterinarian was unable to offer any information and suggested that I euthanise the entire flock, however they are expensive show chickens and what I have left are not showing symptoms.
Over a period of 24 months I have lost 10 chickens (including roosters) to this disease; despite best efforts to quarantine and disinfect (I am unable to move the coop).

What do I do next?
I would like to expand the flock, but I am scared the new chickens will contract the disease.

I have confirmed Mareks Disease (unsure of strain, but confirmed by the laboratory) and I am wondering what the next step forward will be.
My veterinarian was unable to offer any information and suggested that I euthanise the entire flock, however they are expensive show chickens and what I have left are not showing symptoms.
Over a period of 24 months I have lost 10 chickens (including roosters) to this disease; despite best efforts to quarantine and disinfect (I am unable to move the coop).

What do I do next?
I would like to expand the flock, but I am scared the new chickens will contract the disease.
Welcome to BYC.
I'm so sorry about your flock being Marek's positive. The best thing to do is it cull the entire flock. They will be carriers. They can infect other birds. You could not bring any of them to show and you cannot sell any chicks. You either close the flock and don't raise any more of their chicks until the flock dies off or you cull, sanitize heavily and start over.

What do I do next?
What is your flock’s purpose, other than showing?

Welcome to BYC.
I'm so sorry about your flock being Marek's positive. The best thing to do is it cull the entire flock. They will be carriers. They can infect other birds. You could not bring any of them to show and you cannot sell any chicks. You either close the flock and don't raise any more of their chicks until the flock dies off or you cull, sanitize heavily and start over.
The property would still be contaminated with Marek’s, I believe, even if the entire positive flock is culled.

Or you could breed only the unaffected ones to start a Marek's resistant line, all the while keeping a closed flock.
How does that even work? I'm curious because we had run with Marek's but one pullet lived so I wonder if I should breed her?

You could breed the ones that seem unaffected/survived without showing symptoms and see, if the offspring remains healthy.

Keeping a closed flock means no chickens and eggs leave your premises and no new ones will be added except for the offspring of your own chickens.

Back
Top Bottom