Marek's everywhere! Cases of Avian flu! I'm freaking out!

I'm also from Minnesota...my understanding is the next county over which is Swift has turkey barns that were infected. It's hitting very close to home now. We also have wild turkeys that go back and forth between our house and the neighbors. I just moved my 4 week old chicks out to the coop this weekend, I wish I had left them in my basement now
sad.png

I'm in South Dakota. The H5N2 avian influenza has hit a very large flock of turkeys about 5 miles from me. The state veterinarians visited with me yesterday, and sent a federal vet out today to test (swab) my small flock of birds. They were very professional, and did their best to inform me of how the virus is passed, and what symptoms to look for if I suspect my birds of getting it. It seems that it can be passed by just walking in the same footprints of someone who has been in contact with infected birds. They also suspect that it can be carried in a person's nose if they have breathed in infected dust. VERY contagious stuff. My birds and their eggs are now in quarantine till they pass another test in about 14 days.

I'm in South Dakota.  The H5N2 avian influenza has hit a very large flock of turkeys about 5 miles from me.  The state veterinarians visited with me yesterday, and sent a federal vet out today to test (swab) my small flock of birds.  They were very professional, and did their best to inform me of how the virus is passed, and what symptoms to look for if I suspect my birds of getting it.  It seems that it can be passed by just walking in the same footprints of someone who has been in contact with infected birds.  They also suspect that it can be carried in a person's nose if they have breathed in infected dust.  VERY contagious stuff.  My birds and their eggs are now in quarantine till they pass another test in about 14 days.

Any results yet?

Yes, my birds came back negative. However, since my daughter is a teacher at the Hutterite Colony that was infected, she and her children are not allowed to visit us, and our birds are in quarantine until they pass another test in about two weeks. The Colony will likely not be allowed to repopulate their barns for several months. Sure am missing our grandchildren!!!a

I'm not sure if avian flu is here yet but there's always a chance that wild geese have brought it in. The H5N1 strain is what they're seeing right now and it's mutated and can infected dogs, cats, ferrets, and poultry. There's an thread that tells about it, I'll post the link.

Here is a link. Avian flu is among us and it is the H5N2 strain, not the H5N1 strain.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/bird-flu-confirmed-iowa-farm-53-million-chickens-30457342

The euthanasia that goes along with this is not voluntary. If you value your flock you should practice good bio-security. This is especially important as to how your chickens interact with wild migratory birds, especially wild migratory waterfowl.

I'm off my soap box now.

Back
Top Bottom