Mareks in my flock?

I've never used safeguard before or valbazen. Where can I get them and dosage directions?

Safeguard is carried by TSC and most feed stores... *sometimes* co-ops have Valbazen, but usually that is found online...

Dosage for Safeguard 10% is 0.23cc/mL per pound, given for 5 consecutive days to treat *most* worms... Valbazen 11.6% dosage is 0.08cc/mL per pound, and I gave it for 3 consecutive days to treat gapes...

Last edited:
I get mine at Valleyvet.com or at Jefferspet.com. There's other places that has it probably cheaper but unless I can pick it up at TSC or Orschelns for the same price or cheaper I usually just buy it on line and save the time on the road and gas. I'm trying to recall the dosages but @casportpony has several really good threads that will give you detailed instructions on dosages. With the Safeguard I cut up squares of bread and carefully put about 1/2 cc for an average hen, 3/4cc for a standard rooster and 1/4cc for a bantam on each 'bite' put them all in a bowl and when they go to roost at night, I walk down the line and everybody gets a late snack. I keep the dosages segregated in their own little pile and as I go down the line, as soon as a hen or cockerel gets a bite of bread, they get a magic marker line on their leg so I can tell they have been dosed. Every now and then somebody will inevitably get an extra treat but nobody has keeled over yet. You repeat the procedure in 10 days.

Just dawned on me that I hope I'm dosing them right but I think I read that dosage on one of the threads I mentioned above. Safeguard doesn't dissolve well in water and passing out pieces of bread is easier than stressing them out trying to catch them one at a time, wrestling them into submission and squirting the dose down their little throats without strangling them on it.

Safeguard is carried by TSC and most feed stores... *sometimes* co-ops have Valbazen, but usually that is found online...

Dosage for Safeguard 10% is 0.23cc/mL per pound, given for 5 consecutive days to treat *most* worms... Valbazen 11.6% dosage is 0.08cc/mL per pound, and I gave it for 3 consecutive days to treat gapes...

Do they both cover roundworm?

I get mine at Valleyvet.com or at Jefferspet.com. There's other places that has it probably cheaper but unless I can pick it up at TSC or Orschelns for the same price or cheaper I usually just buy it on line and save the time on the road and gas. I'm trying to recall the dosages but @casportpony
 has several really good threads that will give you detailed instructions on dosages. With the  Safeguard I cut up squares of bread and carefully put about 1/2 cc for an average hen, 3/4cc for a standard rooster and 1/4cc for a bantam on each 'bite' put them all in a bowl and when they go to roost at night, I walk down the line and everybody gets a late snack. I keep the dosages segregated in their own little pile and as I go down the line, as soon as a hen or cockerel gets a bite of bread, they get a magic marker line on their leg so I can tell they have been dosed. Every now and then somebody will inevitably get an extra treat but nobody has keeled over yet. You repeat the procedure in 10 days.

Just dawned on me that I hope I'm dosing them right but I think I read that dosage on one of the threads I mentioned above. Safeguard doesn't dissolve well in water and passing out pieces of bread is easier than stressing them out trying to catch them one at a time, wrestling them into submission and squirting the dose down their little throats without strangling them on it.

Ill try the bread trick. I'm terrified of dosing with a syringe!

Do they both cover roundworm?
Ill try the bread trick. I'm terrified of dosing with a syringe!

Absolutely, they cover roundworms and cecal worms...

Dosing with a syringe is easier than you think... I've found 1cc/mL TB syringes work best... they're skinny and easy to aim angled to the birds right side of their throat and slide past the trachea just fine...

Quote: X2!

How to give Oral Medications

Oral Dosing by @new 2 pfowl

• How do I know if I should be administering medication orally?

This depends upon various factors, such as what the medication is and how ill your bird is. In general, keep in mind that oral dosing is often the best way to control dosage and to ensure that your bird actually receives this dosage.

• What tools do I need to dose orally? Where do I get them?

You will need a small oral medication (needleless) syringe, suggested size 1 ml/cc, depending upon the dose being administered. They can be easily obtained online (for example, search for “oral medication syringe” on Amazon).

Please see details elsewhere in this thread about where to obtain medication.

• How do I determine the dosage?

Please see helpful dosing information elsewhere in this thread.

• How do I do it, anyways?

You will need a helper to ensure the safety and proper medication of your bird.

1. Have your medication measures and the syringe prepared before taking any action.
2. Catch and restrain the bird.
3. Have your helper gently pry the bird’s beak open.

4. Be sure that you understand where the medication-filled syringe should be inserted.
The opening in the center at the back of the tongue is the trachea – nothing should ever go in there!

5. Gently insert the syringe alongside the tongue, and inject the medication slowly to ensure that it does not spill over into the trachea.

* Please note that images are courtesy of Craig Hopkins, http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm

http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm

X2!
How to give Oral Medications

[COLOR=333333][COLOR=FF0000]Oral Dosing by @new 2 pfowl [/COLOR][/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]• How do I know if I should be administering medication orally?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]This depends upon various factors, such as what the medication is and how ill your bird is. In general, keep in mind that oral dosing is often the best way to control dosage and to ensure that your bird actually receives this dosage.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]• What tools do I need to dose orally? Where do I get them?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]You will need a small oral medication (needleless) syringe, suggested size 1 ml/cc, depending upon the dose being administered. They can be easily obtained online (for example, search for “oral medication syringe” on Amazon).[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Please see details elsewhere in this thread about where to obtain medication.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]• How do I determine the dosage?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]Please see helpful dosing information elsewhere in this thread.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]• How do I do it, anyways?[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]You will need a helper to ensure the safety and proper medication of your bird.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]1. Have your medication measures and the syringe prepared before taking any action.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]2. Catch and restrain the bird.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]3. Have your helper gently pry the bird’s beak open.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]4. Be sure that you understand where the medication-filled syringe should be inserted.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]The opening in the center at the back of the tongue is the trachea – nothing should ever go in there![/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]5. Gently insert the syringe alongside the tongue, and inject the medication slowly to ensure that it does not spill over into the trachea.[/COLOR] [COLOR=333333] [/COLOR] [COLOR=333333]* Please note that images are courtesy of Craig Hopkins, http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/peafowl.htm[/COLOR] http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
I seriously don't know why this is so terrifying to me... What if it jerks and you miss? I'm a coward.. I can do injections fine but this is scary..
1f635.png

We put the little pullet down today. She had been growing steadily weaker over the past 72 hours. Today she was finding it hard to impossible to even stand up once she had laid down. I was working out in the run and saw her manage to get upright and inside where she lay down in a corner. Some of her siblings joined her then one by one left. She stayed in her corner and didn't try to join them. My remaining mature OEGB hen, the one who ISN'T broody, went inside and began to attack her. I intervened and when I picked her up I noticed that her crop was empty and she just didn't seem to have any fight left in her I can't blame Little Dove. She was telling me the sick one was near the end. Little Blondie was alert but almost fell asleep in my arms. We set and 'talked' for awhile. Then DH came outside and we set her little soul free.

No doubt that it was Marek's. Her symptoms were classic. She had just turned 7 weeks today.

We put the little pullet down today. She had been  growing steadily weaker over the past 72 hours. Today she was finding it hard to impossible to even stand up once she had laid down. I was working out in the run and saw her manage to get upright and inside where she lay down in a corner. Some of her siblings joined her then one by one left. She stayed in her corner and didn't try to join them. My remaining mature OEGB hen, the one who ISN'T broody, went inside and began to attack her. I intervened and when I picked her up I noticed that her crop was empty and she just didn't seem to have any fight left in her I can't blame Little Dove. She was telling me the sick one was near the end. Little Blondie was alert but almost fell asleep in my arms. We set and 'talked' for awhile. Then DH came outside and we set her little soul free. 

No doubt that it was Marek's. Her symptoms were classic. She had just turned 7 weeks today.

:hit :hugs :hugs

Back
Top Bottom