Mareks in my flock?

We have had trouble with our flock too. Thought to be Marek's. Where do we find the wormer and other meds you mentioned? We feel helpless. We have a sick roo now, going downhill fast and can't find medication anywhere.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Read this because it's the most thorough piece of information we have (thankyou Nambroth). 
Your necropsy looks like it says your roo had worms.  Worm your flock on a regular basis starting with Valbazen, which is still noted as being excellent and then again 10 days later.  I don't think the worms had anything to do with the Marek's.

However, since Marek's weakens the immune system, the worm damage made it possible for all those bacteria to kill your roo.  Marek's exposed birds, symptomatic or not, suffer from immunosuppression.  Marek's uses the immune system to manufacture it's virus.  So bacteria overwhelming happens frequently.  The bacteria killed the bird because there was very little resistance to the bacteria, which entered the bird in massive numbers through the worm damage.

In the future, worm your birds regularly, and IMO!!!!!!!  if you have Marek's in the flock, and someone looks sick, I jump to worming, and then antibiotics and an anticoccidial  asap.  People may blast me for heavy antibiotic use in this situation, but the alternative is death. 

But read the FAQ.  It's easier for everyone to help and for you to understand after reading this.

You did the right thing in antibiotics and Corid.  However, it looks like Marek's tumors were already overwhelming the bird.
Very sorry.  I've lost many to Marek's.  Any future chicks need to be vaccinated for Marek's and quarantined for 3 weeks minimum. 

Last edited:
We have had trouble with our flock too. Thought to be Marek's. Where do we find the wormer and other meds you mentioned? We feel helpless. We have a sick roo now, going downhill fast and can't find medication anywhere.
Hi,

very sorry to hear he is sick

what symptoms is he showing??

@dorih, welcome to BYC! So sorry your rooster is so sick. :hugs It would be best if you could get him in a warm room or cage, 80-85 degrees would be ideal. Do not use a heatlamp to warm him because he looks too sick to move away if it gets too warm.

He is going downhill too fast.
1f622.png
I hate it. Don't know where to get help.

@dorih, welcome to BYC! So sorry your rooster is so sick. :hugs It would be best if you could get him in a warm room or cage, 80-85 degrees would be ideal. Do not use a heatlamp to warm him because he looks too sick to move away if it gets too warm.

1f622.png

He looks like he's dying. :hugs A car ride to the vet will probably kill him, but that is an option, otherwise it would be best to get him inside and warm, or euthanize him yourself. :hugs

I believe Valbazen and Tylan can be gotten on Amazon. The rest is harder, maybe try some pigeon sites or sites for those people who keep hunting birds (hawks?) I believe Casportpony has some ideas.

Jennifer, you can always sell eggs for hatching.

This is the first time I've read Marek's tumors were spread out like that. Learning never ends. I am floored by the amount of Marek's tumors found in the lungs, cranial nerves and peripheral nerves. Then again, I've seen Marek's take my older birds as well.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel. I really wanted to breed rare heritage breeds and also put so much time, money and energy into it all and practiced super good bio-security, only to have Marek's come in either on the wind or a wild bird. I'm resigned to it probably being in my life forever. The measures (which might not even work) to try to remove it from my property are well beyond my means and ideals. It's very frustrating! But it's worth fighting if you love your birds. A small pet flock at home can withstand Marek's! Mine is doing well.

We definitely plan on keeping them as pets. I love my birds very much. I think its mostly the hatching ill miss. My hens go broody all the time. Watching them hatch and mother is the most beautiful thing to me and one of the reasons I chose silkies. I found two broody this morning. I took their eggs. I'm not sure how to break them as I've not done it before..

I believe Valbazen and Tylan can be gotten on Amazon.  The rest is harder, maybe try some pigeon sites or sites for those people who keep hunting birds (hawks?)  I believe Casportpony has some ideas. 

Jennifer, you can always sell eggs for hatching. 

This is the first time I've read Marek's tumors were spread out like that.  Learning never ends. I am floored by the amount of Marek's tumors found in the lungs, cranial nerves and peripheral nerves.  Then again, I've seen Marek's take my older birds as well.

Yes I was suprised by how advanced she said it was. My bird was only 6 months old. As for the eggs I may do that. Its never been much about the money though just my passion for my birds. I just love it so much. Makes me feel at peace. I'm sure in time ill figure everything out. Right now I think its going to be a day by day thing.

I would try corid for cocci. If mareks it can't be treated. Its going to pass. Even for cocci it may be to late. But cocci presents like mareks sometimes and is alot easier to treat.

1f622.png
so sorry
hugs.gif
his comb is a lot more purple now than it was in your first picturee, it looks like organs are starting to fail and it may be too late

he's a very beautiful bird
hugs.gif

He passed shortly after I took this. He went downhill so fast. I'm just glad he didn't suffer long.
1f622.png
going to miss him and his vibrant personality.

Back
Top Bottom