1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks in my flock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenniferlamar70, Apr 13, 2017.

1. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

2. jenniferlamar70

jenniferlamar70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    The pathologist called me back to explain the results. The parasites were coccidia. She didnt say anything about worms. She said the mareks was very advanced in her lungs and that she was septic from an infection. She also said she tested positive for e coli but Tue sample was done in her lungs so she couldn't tell me if it would effect their eggs? She told me the same thing as you about her being immune suppressed from the mareks. She said she could have died from any of the secondary infections but for sure mareks. Or sorry I mean he. We still were unsure. We do treat regularly with ivermectin for worms but were looking at other options cause I know it doesn't cover everything.

This is absolutely heartbreaking to me. I've been crying all morning.

Thanks for all the help. I couldn't have got through this without it. You've been so helpful from the start. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!

3. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn Premium Member

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    Yes, it sounds from the report as if there was overwhelming infection (the proximate cause of death) in the setting of a lymphoproliferative disease (aka, chicken form of leukemia/lymphoma) that suppressed the immune system and reduced the bird's defenses.

I have a living Cream Legear with ocular Mareks (never tested, but quite classic appearance of the eyes). I have also lost two hens (mother and daughter) to Avian Leukosis, caused by ALV (avian leukosis virus). I did the necropsy on the mother, and when the daughter died at POL, I was prepared so that I could get a necropsy at the Texas poultry vet lab. Had a long discussion with the bird pathologist there - he explained that the differential diagnosis is Mareks vs Avian Leukosis - both caused by viruses, both have masses with abnormal lymphocytes, key to the diagnosis of one vs another (minus some really detailed expensive testing) is the distribution of the lesions. Mine had involvement of the bursa, major involvement of the liver, and tumors in the abdomen, with NO nerve involvement, consistent with ALV. Nerve involvement is consistent with Mareks.

I needed to know because I needed to know whether I had to destroy the daughter's hatch mates - ALV is passed in the egg, Mareks is not.

Does that help at all?

- Ant Farm

2 people like this.
  4. Fire Ant Farm

Fire Ant Farm Get off my lawn Premium Member

May 5, 2015
    South Texas
    I'm so sorry - I've been there. [​IMG]

5. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Yes thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. [​IMG]

Thanks. We've decided to keep our small flock as pets. No more hatching other then what we already had in the incubator. No more come in or out. Its a really tough decision but we love all our poultry and couldnt cull them. This has all just been very overwhelming. Its alot to take in..

1 person likes this.
  6. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Hey guys can ducks and geese get mareks from chickens. Everything I have read sais no but I just want to double check?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I do not think so.

8. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    Oh my this would be such a relief. I've been worrying so much about my goslings..

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

10. jenniferlamar70

Apr 24, 2016
    Northern California
    You just made my day! I'm so relieved!! Adleast their is a bit of a silver lining in all this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by